Author Topic: 1,4-Butanediol -> GBL, Best method?  (Read 2702 times)

bpm

1,4-Butanediol -> GBL, Best method?
« on: November 20, 2002, 02:23:00 AM »
I've started a new thread because Im wanting to get feedback from other bees that have tried the various 1,4-butanediol -> GBL methods.

The dehydrogenation method (Organic Synthesis) was looking attractive, until I saw the solvent free method.  I seems like there is less chance of a fuck up as the catalyst doesnt have to be made.

Is the solvent free method successful at temps less than 210 (BDOs BP)??.. this was stated in the PDF, but has anyone tried it?  Will it just increase the reaction time, or is it necessary for me to buy a mantle? :(

also, what is the best 'easy to aquire' solvent to use for the extraction? (ie: along the lines of acetone, tolulene, ethanol, etc)

bpm

Rhodium

Which is the solvent-free method you are talking ...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 03:11:00 AM »
Which is the solvent-free method you are talking about?

If you have $20 available, then you can get a BD -> GBL transformation article which is hot off the presses: Post 380186 (not existing)

I suspect that it will be very good, as it is about BD -> GBL exclusively, and not a general diol to lactone procedure, like most of the other articles on the subject.

bpm

This one...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 11:48:00 AM »
This is the link to the solvent free oxidation... from your site.

None

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/solventfree.kmno4.oxidation.pdf)

also, the article in your above post... is it in russian? or will i actually be able to read it?  ;)

bpm

Rhodium

GBL from 1,4-BD
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 07:45:00 AM »
I got the above russian article in the mail today. It seems promising, even if it is not especially verbose.

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/bd2gbl.pdf

In

Post 383590

(Rhodium: "Scheme 16 -  THF to GBL", Novel Discourse)
you find trichloroisocyanuric acid being used in a synthesis of GBL from THF in 19% yield, as well as another reference from Syn Comm, where 1,4-butanediol is oxidized to GBL, presumably in better yield than that.