Author Topic: Container Choice  (Read 2117 times)

ScuzZ

Container Choice
« on: November 07, 2003, 04:37:00 AM »
Swim would like to have a container that could hold a solution of hot NaOH, although information on which metals/containers that will hold this solution is slim.

Does anyone know of a decent list of materials swim could use for this project?

calcium

stainless
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 01:16:00 PM »
Stainless Steel, eitherĀ  304 or 316. Plastic is fine too, depending on how hot you plan to keep it. Liquid caustic solutions are shipped & stored in plastic drums. I can't remember, but I think it's HDPE.

politoxicomania

Plastic
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 10:26:00 PM »
Yes HDPE is the best for this application
Dont use PET or u will have a desaster.
Dont use glas. Glas is corrosive in alkali solution.
HDPE orĀ  HPPE shoeld written on the plastik bottle .......

ScuzZ

Container Choice
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 01:51:00 AM »
Swim tried the using a stainless steel cooking pot and it tarnished the surface and in some areas peeling some shiny flaky metal off.

Can't find an HDPE plastic, although I'm not sure it's suitable for a heating application.

Swim found out that aluminium is not a good container either, ate a hole right through before the container began to fill up.

calcium

Swim tried the using a stainless steel cooking
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 04:22:00 PM »
Swim tried the using a stainless steel cooking pot and it tarnished the surface and in some areas peeling some shiny flaky metal off.

That ain't stainless steel my boy!

Aluminum is the worst choice imaginable. That fizzing was hydrogen gas being formed. A standard 5 gallon plastic pail is HDPE. If you want to heat a caustic bath you need to use stainless steel.

I'm not sure why you would want to, but that's your business.

ScuzZ

Container Choice
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 12:03:00 AM »
Maybe the stainless steel pot was cheaply made.

A hot solution of NaOH is used to clean engine parts, greasy metals and glassware(as long as the chemicals inside aren't reactive with it)