Author Topic: Cinnamyl alcohol + HI --> propenylbenzene  (Read 1547 times)

Vitus_Verdegast

Cinnamyl alcohol + HI --> propenylbenzene
« on: April 20, 2003, 06:59:00 AM »
Is there someone willing to translate this ?

I think I understand the main lines; it describes the reaction of cinnamyl alcohol with HI under pressure to yield chiefly propenylbenzene, which can react further with to yield toluene and ethyl iodide. The article also mentions NaHg reduction.

Taken from Ber. D. Chem. Gesell., 11 (1878) p 671 :

Bildung von toluol und phenylpropylen aus zimmtalkohol

Wenn man 10 theile zimmtalkohol mit 25 theilen rauchender jodwasserstoffsaure von 1.96 vol. gew. in zugeschmolzenen rohren bei 180-200°C 4-5 stunden lang digerirt, so zeigen die rohren bein oeffnen einen aromatischen, etwas an toluol erinnernden geruch, welcher durchaus verschieden von dem des zimmtalcohols ist. Es gingen dabei zuerst kleine mengen eines alkyljodides uber, welche in dem, in der vorlage befindlichen wasser untersanken. Spater destillirte eine, von mitgerissenem jod gefarbte, trube flussigkeit uber. Nach einiger zeit schied sich an der oberflache des destillats ein oel in grosserer menge ab, wahrend freies jod in der flussigkeit untersank. Das abgetrennte oel sowohl, wie die wasserige losung wurden darauf zur entfernung des freien jodes mit saurem, schwefelsaurem natrium behandelt. Am boden der wasserigen losung sammelten sich dabei wiederum tropfchen eines alkyljodides an, deren menge jedoch eine zu geringe war, um die natur dieser verbindung genau feststellen zu konnen. Das durch waschen u. s. w. gereinigte, vom wasser getrennte, specifisch leichte, das licht nunmehr stark brechende oel siedet zwischen 110 und 170°C, und es gelang leicht, dasselbe durch fractionirte destillation in eine um 111°C und eine zweite um 165°C siedende fraction zu zerlegen.
Die erstere bestand, wie sich bei der prufung durch die dampfdichte herausstellte, aus nahezu reinem toluol; es wurden dabei die folgenden zahlen erhalten:

C7H8
Berechnete dichte : 46
Gefundene dichte : 48.33 ; 48.26

Das um 165°C siedende oel wurde auf demselben wege als phenylpropylen C6H3-CH=CH-CH3 erkannt. Die bei der prufung desselben erhaltene zahl ist die folgende:

C9H10
berechnete dichte : 59
gefundene dichte : 60.26

DFas phenylpropylen is bereits von Fittig und Krugener1 durch einwirkung von natriumamalgam auf eine wasserige losung von zimmtalkohol dargestellt worden; Fittig giebt den siedepunkt dieser verbindung bei 165-170°C an.
Toluol bildet sich in um so geringene menge, je niedriger man die temperatur beim digeriren halt, und je kurzere zeit man dasselbe fortsetzt.
Zimmtalkohol wird mithin unter den angegebenen bedingungen zunachst zu phenylpropylen gereducirt und dieses zerfallt bei andauernder einwirkung der jodwasserstoffsaure voraussichtlich nach der gleichung :

C6H3CH=CH-CH3 + 3HI -->  C6H3-CH3 + CH3CH2I + I2

Dass die isolirung und die genaue charakterisirung des neben toluol gebildeten, zugleich mit letzterem und mit phenylpropylen in das destillat gelangenden alkyljodides die grossten schwierigkeiten bietet, ist nicht auffallend und kann jedenfalls nicht langer als ein grund gegen die von mir angenommene constitution des coniferylalkohols geltend gemacht werden.

1 Diese berichte, VI, p.204

ylid

According to my ropey German:
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 05:29:00 AM »
Preparation of toluene and phenylpropylene from cinnamyl alcohol

10 parts cinnamyl alcohol may be digested with 25 parts fuming HI, 1.96 v/w, at 180-200°C for 4-5 hours in a closed glass apparatus [? ‘zugesmolzen rohren’ lit. melted-together tubes]. Opening the apparatus reveals an aromatic smell, something like toluene, and quite different from cinnamyl alcohol. From [distilling] this, small quantities of an alkyl iodide came over first, beneath which water in the distillation receiver sank. Later a muddy liquid distilled over, colored by iodine that was brought along with it. After some time, large quantities of oil separated on the surface of the distillate, while free iodine sank to the bottom. Both the separated oil, and the aqueous solution derived from it by removing free iodine with acid, were treated with sodium sulfate [or is that bisulfate?]. Drops of an alkyl iodide accumulated again at the bottom of the aqueous solution, but in quantities that were too small to be able to determine the exact nature of this compound. The strongly diffractive oil was cleaned by washing and so on, and separated from the water, being less dense. It boiled between 110 and 170° C and was easily separated into two fractions by fractional distillation, one boiling around 111° C and a second around 165° C.

The first fraction was almost pure toluene, as turned out from examination of the vapour density, which gave the following figures: C7H8 calculated density: 46; measured density: 48.33; 48.26.

The fraction boiling around 165°C was recognized in the same way to be phenylpropylene (C6H3-CH=CH-CH3). The same test gave the following figures: C9H10 calculated density: 59; measured density: 60.26.

Phenylpropylene has already been described by Fittig and Krugener 1, from the effect of sodium amalgam on an aqueous solution of cinnamyl alcohol; Fittig gave the boiling point of this compound as 165-170°C. Toluene forms in smaller amounts, the lower the temperature of the digestion is kept, and the shorter time it is continued. Cinnamyl alcohol is therefore reduced to phenylpropylene under the indicated conditions and this presumably decomposes during the continuous effect of the hydriodic acid according to the equation:

C6H3-CH=CH-CH3 + 3HI --> C6H3-CH3 + CH3CH2I + I2

Apart from the isolation and exact characterization of the toluene that is formed, attaining the alkyl iodide with the latter and phenylpropylene in the distillate offers the greatest difficulties. This unremarkable and at any rate give no reason not to accept the valid constitution of the coniferyl alcohol.

1 This report, VI, p.204

Vitus_Verdegast

Thanks, ylid !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 05:41:00 AM »
I'll try to dig up that NaHg ref this week.