Author Topic: 16.5% Iodine  (Read 3290 times)

diogenes

16.5% Iodine
« on: August 22, 2002, 04:35:00 PM »
Just received a catalog from a tack and vet supply company whose name is similar to the author of The Scarlet Letter. Anyway the product info reads,"The strongest iodine preparation availble. Used as leg paint.Also may be used in leg preparations."
The 16.5%, "strongest preparation availble" is just enough to raise SWIMS curiosity as to how much this differs from tinture.

diogenes

name
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2002, 11:38:00 PM »
The name is that of the products, not that of the supply company.SWIM will research this thing for himself.

BenWiFFen

!6.5% is the bomb
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 01:22:00 PM »
64$ a gallon and worth every cent.

Sign here____________________

diogenes

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 02:52:00 PM »
SWIM says thanks. :)
Peace Out! 8)

overclock

Also ..
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 04:00:00 PM »
I have seen a high 16.5% iodine/povidone 500ml bottle at a local pharmacy. Could the iodine from this be extracted the same way as Iodine tincture?

-OC

[Please insert, signature side up, here.]

foxy2

Nope
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2002, 04:38:00 PM »
Povidone complexes with the Iodine.  There are some threads about it, but I have not heard of anyone successfully using pov-I2.

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

morpheus

Nope again
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 03:20:00 PM »
As always Foxy is right.Swim got a pm from down
under asking if I could help with a synth. that would
remove povidone from iodine tinc.Apparently him and his croonies have been trying without luck for quite some time.
Must mean that all I2 tinc. has pov it in it there.
True or false?

Anansi

Iodine Tincture in Australia.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 06:07:00 PM »
morpheus - Most iodine tincture sold in Oz does NOT contain povidone. Those that do contain it, list it on the label.

Some 'iodine tincture' sold in Oz is just an Ethanol solution of iodine. This is different to other iodine tincture formulations. This could lead to difficulties in following extraction processes on a tincture that has a different composition. (I think the other common mixture is iodine, KI, Ethanol and water.)

I knew somebody that extracted the iodine from the ethanolic tincture simply by setting it on fire in a pyrex dish, and cooling it rapidly when all the liquids are gone. They did use the iodine produced in this manner with success but I really don't know how pure it will be. Far better to spend a little more time and extract it by normal, safer means.

Obviously if somebody _really_ wanted to try that ignition idea they'd want to ensure they took adequate precautions against the iodine vapours that almost certainly will form! They can't chase you quite like elemental Bromine will, but real nasty nonetheless.

...Anansi