Author Topic: cant get safrole? FREEZE IT!  (Read 31846 times)

Rhodium

Lost in space
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2002, 02:21:00 PM »
why tend so much info to sip away over the years and get forgotten?

Because I haven't yet gotten my T3 broadband brain implant yet and still have to rely on manual information data gathering which is relatively error-prone. Hopefully cybernetics has evolved enough for that stage before I reach your age LT - I want to be able to use it for as many years as possible...

LaBTop

Move
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2002, 11:50:00 PM »
This thread is now moved to Methods forum.
Lili has at last made a reminder when a thread is Moved to another forum. Thanks, Lilienthal! LT/

WISDOMwillWIN

TheBlindGenius

Swim don't mean to break balls but....
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
Swim has had about 2 ml of sassy sitting in his freezer for 4 days in a 5 inch test tube and nothing has frozen.  swim knows it has safrole, it has the right smell, swim has distilled it before, etc.  it is chinese. swim has tried putting the test tube in ice, scratching the inside of the test tube with a screwdriver, swirling the contents, putting the freezer setting on coldest, everything! and still, no seed crystals  :( .  anyone got any suggestions?

RoundBottom

too wide
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2002, 01:09:00 PM »
if you can stick a screwdriver in the tube, it's too wide.  my theory is that the narrowness of the vial is paramount.  try a perfume sample vial (but clean it with alcohol first).

i learned a thing or two from charlie dontcha know.

wyndowlicker

man this thread is big now!
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2002, 01:15:00 PM »
This has got to bee swiws longest thread.Swiw has had this bunk sassy in the freezer for months as in multiple.Its not freezing even in a purfume vial.Cant wait for more sassy! :P Keep it going.A more complex post or wright up on freezing would bee nice does anyone have a real good post number for swiw? :P

I will choke untill I swallow!Who are you to judge or strike me down!Miss you Kerra!

wyndowlicker

anyone!
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2002, 06:38:00 PM »
anyone off hand know what temp dry ice gets down too? :P

I will choke untill I swallow!Who are you to judge or strike me down!Miss you Kerra!

placebo

How about spraying butane gas from a lighter ...
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2002, 05:29:00 AM »
How about spraying butane gas from a lighter refill can on a few drops on a plate?

Bored...

Rhodium

Butane has a boiling point of -5°C, that's much ...
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2002, 06:38:00 AM »
Butane has a boiling point of -5°C, that's much warmer than in the freezer. Perhaps nitrous oxide (from whippits), with a bp of -89.5°C?

wyndowlicker

rhodium
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2002, 02:38:00 PM »
Very interested in that one Rhodium.How does it work? :P

placebo

Good thinking boss! I shall try it out!
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2002, 03:13:00 AM »
Good thinking boss! I shall try it out!

Bored...

Rhodium

n2o
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2002, 10:59:00 AM »
wyndow: How does what work? I haven't tried using it myself, I was just giving an example of a non-toxic OTC liquified gas with a low bp.

TheBlindGenius

Thanks All!! By the way.....
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »
Well, swim was about to follow max's advice on liquid N2 or dry ice, but the next morning he had a solid chunk of frozen sassy in the test tube!  so swim took that and put it into about 500 mL of sassy, blah blah, you know.  the stuff that did not freeze was dark brown, the stuff that did was light yellow.  did that four times, and tried freezing the decanted junk in a separate, smaller beaker.  got a few extra mLs to crystallize from the decanted stuff.  anyways, from 1000 mL was obtained about 90 mL of unfreezable junk.  swim's freezer/fridge has thermometers.  the freezer fluctuates between -10 to -20 C, while the fridge won't get colder than about 12 C.  So, swim cannot freeze in the fridge.  should swim's shit be pure enough anywayz?? or should swim buy a new fridge that gets colder?  Also, swim took the unfreezable shit and mixed it with 5% NaOH to see if it had eugenol in it.  what happened is that there was a tiny bit of even darker oil on the bottom and about 80 mL of "cafe con leche" colored stuff floating on top.  what does this mean? thanks for the advice everyone, any more feedback would bee appreciated. laaaaate

Rhodium

Discard
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2002, 03:52:00 PM »
The unfreezable stuff is at least not safrole, as it doesn't freeze at sub-zero temperatures. Discard.

wyndowlicker

well its clear now after a distillation it just ...
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2002, 12:55:00 AM »
well its clear now after a distillation it just may have been a little fast its slightly cloudy white clear with rainbows. :P

neuromodulator

Some comments and questions about this thread.
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2002, 04:41:00 PM »
Ok, I've just read this whole post in its entirety almost, but I can't help but wonder why eugenol would ever be in sassafras oil in the first place provided that the oil was obtained from steam distillation.  Doesn't that hydroxy group on eugenol make the compound water soluble?  Furthermore, 10% to 20% or whatever eugenol in sassafras oil would make the shit smell completely different.  Also, say the rest of your oil is 20% random (i.e., non-essential oil) hydrocarbons, what does it matter?  Can't they just be considered a form of a solvent to be later separated out in the manufacturing process? 

Anyway, I can't wait to try out this simple and elegant method later on for the experience (props to scram, MaDMAx, LT etc...), but I would be willing to be that my clear oil doesn't really need it.  I think LaBTop must have been trying to invoke Ockham's razor in some kind of oblique way, and I wonder why Baalchemist didn't post any reply.  And who is Argox?  Is he like Strike or something?

DiMethyl

Instant Freeze
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2002, 08:17:00 PM »
I once had a quart jar of yellow phenylnitroproplyene cyrstalize in about 3 seconds and it was a sight I will never forget. The jar had been sitting for a week while the rxn took place and every day it got more and more yellow. After one week I wonder--hmmm--where are the damm crystals? I pick up the jar and stick a glass rod into it and rub the rod on the bottom of the jar and----damm---I think I actually heard it crystallize. It produced alot of heat.
Very interesting stuff.

DiMethyl

Try a glass beaker
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2002, 08:57:00 PM »
Pour a very small amount of the oil into a small beaker or baby food jar and put in the freezer. After taking the jar out 2 or 3 times to look at it you should notice crystals on the bottom of the beaker and also mixed in with the oil.
I would expect all of the safrole to eventually freeze.
Really, at the point where you can see the little seed crystals forming, you should be able to just pour some of the oil/crystals into the motherload of chilled sassy oil to get the safrole there to crystallize as well.
If problems still persist then try to create seed crystals with dry ice and acetone.

quantum

i wonder
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2002, 11:04:00 AM »
would this work with a seed and all with other oils
that contain safrole say ylang and camphor

remeber its not about the drugs mate its about the music
ye right :)

terbium

Crystals by freezing.
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2002, 11:28:00 AM »
But for a counterexample consider a solution of 3% salt in water. Even if the water is cooled to near its freezing point and a seed crystal of salt added, the dissolved salt is not going to crystallize out. Similarly with safrole, just because you cool a safrole containing solution below the freezing point of safrole and add a safrole seed crystal does not insure that the safrole will crystallize out.

quantum

yes
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2002, 11:42:00 AM »
yes terbium that is what I have found with ylang
GOD also found this (actual he found it out first I tried
it becouse im a prat)
I found with ylang you get a few snow like crystals
mixed in the oil and a heap of milky white stuff that
kind of takes the shape of a spiral.
dont know if the snow is water vapor from me trying it
in singapore and opening the jar before freezing
(singapore can have up to 80% humidity) or if it