Author Topic: pyridineHCL from denatured alchohol  (Read 3535 times)

Ghost_Of_BT

pyridineHCL from denatured alchohol
« on: May 04, 2001, 07:05:00 PM »
I understand that denatured alchohol is ethonol mixed with pyridine. Can I get reasonably pure pyradineHCL by adding an excessive amount of HCL and evaporating the mixture? Also, the denatured alchohol that I find contains some methanol. Will this be a problem?

goiterjoe

Re: pyridineHCL from denatured alchohol
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
you understood wrong.  denatured alcohol is ethanol with added methanol to make it undrinkable.  it old moonshine areas, denatured also contains toluene, acetone, and other oddball shit.

If pacman influenced us, we'd glide around dark rooms eating pills and listen to repetitive music.

Osmium

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2001, 07:19:00 PM »
Apparently in some non-US countries indeed smelly shit like pyridine is/was sometimes used as denaturant. But in case that is true I doubt there will be much in it, a few ml at most.

goiterjoe

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
sorry, my bad.  I didn't think they would be able to muchif any into the mix due to health safety.

If pacman influenced us, we'd glide around dark rooms eating pills and listen to repetitive music.

Osmium

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
That's the whole point, making you barf all over the place when you try to drink it  ;)

Bwiti

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2001, 10:46:00 PM »
I remember reading about pyridine being added to ethanol, but I'm guessing that's a rare thing, because methanol's a cheaper denaturant. 8)

I'm going to help all of you cleanse this diseased planet.

Agent_Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2001, 01:35:00 AM »
well, the US govt has a list of acceptable denaturants, among other things, sassafras oil is acceptable...  but no one uses it.

blah blah blah something clever blah blah blah

weasil

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
I think you are referring to methylated spirits and it only contains 0.5% pyridine. It also contains 9.5% methanol, dye & the remainder is ethanol. However if one were to distil their spirit the methanol & ethanol would come over as the azeotrope. Would this be of any value for recrystallisiation where the solvent of choice would be ethanol? I am thinking that yields would be slightly lower but of higher purity. The alternative is to use either technical grade methanol or IPA so I guess this would fit somewhere in-between? Would a 50/50 of the latter be any good?

Rhodium

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2001, 07:07:00 PM »
Ethanol with 10% methanol in it has for all practical purposes the same solvent properties as pure ethanol. As long as it is free of other substances, it would be just fine for recrystallizations.

https://www.rhodium.ws

blondie

solubility - other ideas?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 01:12:00 PM »
does anybee know what the solubilities of pyridinium sulphate, pyridinium phosphate are in ethanol/ water.