Author Topic: PPA synth - quick, easy, cheap. -assholium  (Read 2894 times)

dormouse

PPA synth - quick, easy, cheap. -assholium
« on: April 20, 2000, 02:32:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  PPA synth - quick, easy, cheap.

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   PPA synth - quick, easy, cheap. 
assholium
Member   posted 05-10-98 04:38 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheap and easy method of aminoalchogols production -
f.e. phenylpropanolamine, pseudo-ephedrine and so on, (and ring methoxylated too!!!)
preparation of PPA:

place in 1 l RGB flask 37 ml (35 g) isopropenylbenzene (bp 69C at 13 mmHg), then 250 ml of DMSO, add 15 ml H2O, and with stirring, add 106 g of N-bromosuccinimide in small portions durind 15 min. A yellow color appears when NBS is added, and by the time the addition is complete, the color is bright-orange. Durind the addition temp rose up to 50 C. Stir another 15 min, then pour into 1 l of cold water and 3-5 times extract with 100-ml portions of ether. The combined etherial extracts washed water, then NaCl soln, extract dried over MgSO4 and ether was distilled off. Obtained 70 g of yellow oil PhCH(OH)CH(Br)CH3. Yield almost quantitative.
Ref: Organic Syntheses, vol 59, p.16.

dissilve this oil in 100 ml of methanol. Saturate 400 ml of methanol with ammonia at -10C (bubble ammonia until volume grows to 50% - up to 550-600 ml). Mix methanolic soln of bromohydrine with ammonia soln, place it in sealed bomb and heat at 110-120C 4-5 hrs. After cooling open it carefully (ammonia evolution!) poll in 1 l glass (carefull, please - mixture foamy as freshly-opened shampagne) and allow main quantities of ammonia fly out at slowly heated water bath. Distill of methanol and obtained semi-cryst oil dissolve in 300 ml of 20% HCl. Wash milky soln twice with hexane, basify and extract PPA with methylene chloride (3x100 portions). Dry with NaSO4, and remove solvent. Result - about 42 g of oil, cryst on chilling with mp 53-55C.
Conversion of isopropenylbenzene - PPA is 92%. Not bad, I think.

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 05-10-98 05:55 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about Propenylbenzene => Pseudonitrosite with N2O3 or NaNO2, react it with Ac2O to give the alpha-acetoxy-beta-nitro phenylpropane. Reduce the nitro group and hydrolyze the ester to give PPA. I'd guess the yields are at 50-75% total, but a lot easier than your version.

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 05-10-98 05:55 AM          
What about Propenylbenzene => Pseudonitrosite with N2O3 or NaNO2, react it with Ac2O to give the alpha-acetoxy-beta-nitro phenylpropane. Reduce the nitro group and hydrolyze the ester to give PPA. I'd guess the yields are at 50-75% total, but a lot easier than your version.

David
unregistered   posted 05-11-98 03:02 PM           
Rodium, you nerd. Make METH out of propenylbenzene, not dexatrim!!
*smack*

David
unregistered   posted 05-11-98 03:02 PM           
Rodium, you nerd. Make METH out of propenylbenzene, not dexatrim!!
*smack*

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 05-11-98 03:57 PM          
Hey David, assholium did just the same, I just improved his method. And besides, I don't want meth, U4EUh is probably better 

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 05-11-98 03:57 PM          
Hey David, assholium did just the same, I just improved his method. And besides, I don't want meth, U4EUh is probably better 

Labrat
Member   posted 05-12-98 09:55 AM          
He Rhodium, why make methylaminorex if aminorex is more potent? Just read "Future Synthetic Drugs of Abuse". You can find it at:

http://www.hyperreal.org/drugs/misc/future.html.

Besides, using the cyanogen bromide process the yields are higher when making aminorex instead of methylaminorex. Does anybody on this board know why aminorex is no longer a registrered medicine? No, it's not the fact that it's addictive, it's got to do with the toxicity you get from using this compound for a long period of time. I can recall vaguely that some sort of longue disease can be induced by long-term use of aminorex. But that doesn't matter here, cause we are all casual users, right? Sure...

Labrat
Member   posted 05-12-98 09:55 AM          
He Rhodium, why make methylaminorex if aminorex is more potent? Just read "Future Synthetic Drugs of Abuse". You can find it at:

http://www.hyperreal.org/drugs/misc/future.html.

Besides, using the cyanogen bromide process the yields are higher when making aminorex instead of methylaminorex. Does anybody on this board know why aminorex is no longer a registrered medicine? No, it's not the fact that it's addictive, it's got to do with the toxicity you get from using this compound for a long period of time. I can recall vaguely that some sort of longue disease can be induced by long-term use of aminorex. But that doesn't matter here, cause we are all casual users, right? Sure...

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 05-12-98 02:28 PM          
Potency has a very low ranking by me. The qualitative experience is a lot more important.

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 05-12-98 02:28 PM          
Potency has a very low ranking by me. The qualitative experience is a lot more important.

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive