Author Topic: MDMA and the Indole Structure  (Read 6121 times)

Sedit

MDMA and the Indole Structure
« on: November 17, 2000, 07:13:00 AM »
This has been on my mind fo ra while now an i was just woundering if anyone besides me has noticed the simularitys between the ring structure of MDMA and the indole structure?
Replace the bottom oxygen of MDMA with N and the Top with C and you have the ring structure of the indole class. Has any one heard of th effects of such a drug? And so you thing that this could explain why MDMA blocks the reuptake of dopamine and serotonin while Meth only blocks dopamine(correct me if im wrong).If this proves to be the caseit could really help in the creation of new and exotic substances. Does any one have any Ideas On how to go about synthesising this sort of substance cuz if it hasnt been made yet i will devote all my time and effet into the creation and testing of such a substance. So whos with me on this one . IndolMeth

Life is short then ya Die so lets go party and all get High

savestheday

Re: MDMA and THE INDOLE STRUCTURE
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2000, 10:41:00 PM »
wait, but the methylene dioxy ring isn't a benzene ring, right? correct me if im wrong though...

Rhodium

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2000, 10:07:00 AM »
The nitrogen-containing ring in indole is aromatic and thus flat. The methylenedioxy ring in MDMA is aliphatic, and does project somewhat out of the plane (envelope shape).

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org

Sedit

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2000, 04:39:00 AM »
OHHHhhhhh....  Then what is it that makes one flat and the other aliphatic and would there be any way to make the indol structure aliphatic with out destroying activity. has any one tryed to replace the 2 O atoms in the ring with something else to see if it still retains activity?

Life is short then ya Die so lets go party and all get High

Lilienthal

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »
Yes, this looks very interesting.

http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/storey/116/

Lilienthal's Reference #305:
4-, 5-, 6-, and 7-isotryptamines from formylindoles, Helv. Chim. Acta 1616 1968, F. Troxler

serodronin

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
how do you intend to change out the methylenedioxy ring?  might be possible if you started with something like eugenol and changed out the oxygens, then methylenated it.

I try to take my reactions on one at a time, but lately several reactions have attacked me at once.

Bozakium

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2001, 10:30:00 PM »
sedit: the aromatic ring if flat due to the double bonds between the p-orbitals of the  carbon atoms. The single-bonded aliphatic chain is "3-d" because the 4 single bonds on the carbon atom are at 120 degree angles to each other. The spatial relations of atoms in a covalently-bonded molecule are due to the shape of the s and p-orbitals and sp-orbital hybridization. It it tough to explain in words, but a molecular model kit or intro collecge organic chem text can illistrate it for you very easily.--Bz138

foxy2

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
What would be interesting is to take 5-bromoindole and make 5-(2-aminopropyl)indole, a substituted amphetamine analog.  I wonder how one could go about this? 
Seems there would be polymerization and other issues because of the reactivity of the 3 position of the indole ring, right?

Do Your Part To Win The War

slappy

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
Actually Boz, that would be 109.5° between bonds on an sp3 hydridized carbon.

From all of the molecular modeling that I have seen, the methylenedioxy group (except the Hydrogens) pretty much stays within the plane.

pantopon_rose

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
Bozakium has explained very well for someone who can visualize the orbitals and their effects on the positions of atoms. I suggest you read into stereochemistry, sedit. That will give help explain the concept of these structures. Like it's been said, they aren't flat like we draw them on pieces of paper, they are three dimensional (and probably four dimensional, depending on whether you consider time a dimension and the fourth to be a spatial bumping time up to fifth).

How many times must the cannon balls fly, before they're forever banned?

Rhodium

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »
Foxy: Yes that would be an interesting chemical adventure. The reactivity of the 3-position is a problem, but I believe it can be protected by bisulfite (or similar).

wandering101

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
pantopon_rose, please explain what you mean by 4 dimensional, with time as a fifth.
I've done 10-d, and 26-d (OK, I still can't handle the 26 stuff even a little bit) views of reality in physics (time NOT seperated from the spatial dimensions) - it's just more complex calculus....

pantopon_rose

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2001, 11:24:00 PM »
I've just barely started calculus and don't have even the slightest clue how to do 10-d I group muchless the 26-d supersymmetry boson math. In other words, I have no idea how one would narrow the 10 spacetime dimensions down to at least even six, muchless four. I have just been reading too much supertstring mumbojumbo before I know how to do the math for it is all. Sorry if I got you excited or something; like thought you had someone who could discuss physics on that level with you. Maybe in about four years when I graduate? ;)  Any good books to recommend? (Sorry for changing the subject of the thread ya'll, it really was not my intent.)

How many times must the cannon balls fly, before they're forever banned?

megamole

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2001, 07:00:00 AM »
Another interesting compound, heretofore undiscussed but along the same tangent, would be [2-(2,3-Dihydro-1H-indol-5-yl)-1-methyl-ethyl]-methyl-amine -- the indoline analog of MDMA. Aliphatic, but with the lone pair in the 4-position; this one should be relatively simple to make as well (it could be easily made from the corresponding indole by reduction with BH3*THF complex.)

"Give me ten minutes with your inner child, and I'll give you back an inner adult."

foxy2

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Hmmm, Is that IUPAC naming???
;)   ;)

Do Your Part To Win The War

Rhodium

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
Probably. It is MDMA with the methylenedioxy -O-CH2-O- substituted with -CH2-CH2-NH- instead. But I doubt it would be active, I know of no active compounds with an amine function on the benzene ring.

Lilienthal

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2001, 02:32:00 AM »
>>> it could be easily made from the corresponding indole by reduction with BH3*THF complex.

This doesn't work, but NaBH4 / AcOH could be used for that reaction.

megamole

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2001, 08:14:00 PM »

I know of no active compounds with an amine function on the benzene ring.

benzodiazepines?
paracetamol?
fentanyls?

Rhodium

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2001, 08:40:00 PM »
Okay, let's rephrase: "I know of no entheogens/entactogens with an amine or amide function on an aromatic ring". The 4-amino and 4-acetamido derivatives of 2,5-DMA is for example fully inactive.

megamole

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
>>it could be easily made from the corresponding indole by reduction with BH3*THF complex.

>This doesn't work, but NaBH4 / AcOH could be used for that reaction.

J.Org.Chem. (1984) 49(26), 5124-5131.
J.Org.Chem. (1985) 50(12), 2066-2073.

Admittedly, the reagent of choice for reducing the 2,3-double bond is NaCNBH3, but BH3*THF does indeed work, for the record. Other common reagents used to reduce the 2,3-double bond include zinc borohydride and tetrabutylammonium borohydride.