Author Topic: chloroform for modified performic?  (Read 4036 times)

potisgood

chloroform for modified performic?
« on: March 31, 2001, 04:23:00 PM »
I don't have any DCM, but i do have a shitload of chloroform.  Will this shit work instead of DCM as a solvent for the modified performic? Also, I already mixed iso, chloroform, and bicarb for two hours to form the buffered solution, but not all of the bicarb disolved. Is this normal or is bicarb more soluble in DCM.

goiterjoe

Re: chloroform for modified performic?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
I've never tried it, but chloroform should work in lieu of dcm for extraction after the performic.  as far as the solubility of bicarbonate, it's probably not as soluble in chloroform due to the ethyl chain.  don't take my word on that though; I've never tried it.

If pacman influenced us, we'd glide around dark rooms eating pills and listen to repetitive music.

baalchemist

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2001, 12:34:00 AM »
Even in DCM it doesnt dissolve 100%. Only after addition has started will it fully dissolve. I bet that chloro will work, yields may differ though.

goiterjoe

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
would tetraflouroethane work for extraction if a device were made to separate the layers before it boiled?  if so, that would make the extraction quick as shit because the TFE would evaporate in a couple of minutes on its own.  I have an idea for the device, just want to know if TFE is a good halogenated solvent.

If pacman influenced us, we'd glide around dark rooms eating pills and listen to repetitive music.

psychokitty

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
In SWIM's experience, all halohydrocarbons (the more popular common ones, at least) work well EXCEPT TCE (trichloroethylene), which causes low yields.

--PK