Author Topic: black fingers  (Read 2369 times)

edo

black fingers
« on: March 25, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »
Swim just got a 6 cfm vac pump its awesome!
Anyway after swim finished washing benzo wacker he noticed his fingers were stained black.(leak in glove)This shit wont come off. Any suggestion?

Bandil

Yeah! Be more carefull the next time and come...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »
Yeah!

Be more carefull the next time and come up with a plausible excuse to why your hands are stained now. It will wear of in a few days (its just the upper layer of skin that has been tainted), so no worries!

There are however many types of "chemical coloring", which wont come off for a few days. The really neat ones are:

Bromine (nice white/yellow flesh)
Hydrogen peroxide (white as hell)
nitrostyrenes (looks like you have hepatitis)
Pd/C (black - for some reason its impossible to remove)
Most other things :)

Regards
Bandil

hypo

another classic:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »
nitric acid.  ;D

Rhodium

My favorite skin stains
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »
My favorite skin stains are those caused by silver nitrate. The silver ions penetrate the outer skin layer and combines with sulfur-containing proteins below, forming intensely black silver sulfide stains, which won't go away in just a few days as they lie a little deeper than most other stains.

EvilMadChemist

time to buy a pair of gloves?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »
time to buy a pair of gloves?

Sasquatch

quinone
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »

edo

Swim should of known there was a leak in the...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
Swim should of known there was a leak in the gloves when he felt burning sensation on his fingers.haha :P
Swim gotta stop doing midnight wackers.

swim will just wait for stain to fade
THx

Swim is pulling ketone with ease @150C  :) . Swim realized that his previous failure was due to a weak vac source(water aspirator)

edo

on another note.... Swim is currently ...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 01:39:00 AM »
on another note....
Swim is currently distilling ketone but the color is not the same as previous color. Last time ketone was a brigt neon color. This time ketone alittle darker orange/yellow.   :o

Swim used a darker PdCl2 this time.Is that the cause? and is darker ketone still useable?

wyndowlicker

HEy now,
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
HEy now,

Theres nothing wron gwith your tone.If you think there is redistill.Then throw some activated carbon in there to suck up the color.It works. :P

FlaskGenie

plumbing tape
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 01:43:00 AM »
Swim has has a 6cfm pump that worked great untill swim read somewhere about the joys of teflon plumbing tape.  Tha last dream which has been awhile ago swims pump setup w/ vac grease and teflon tape at every joint distilled M*Ma
freebase oil at 81c.  BTW always distill your freebase after Al\Hg if you can.  There is a lot of crap in your freebase if you don't.  The dirty freebase may crystalize but after you taste it you will have wished you didn't go down the dirty, easy road.

biotechdude

vacuum distill comments
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 01:13:00 AM »
Tha last dream which has been awhile ago swims pump setup w/ vac grease and teflon tape at every joint distilled M*Ma
freebase oil at 81c

Indeed teflon and proper vacuum grease works wonders.  However, use it sparingly and in the sockets only as grease and flecks of teflon tape can go into the distillate after a long hot session if u go overboard. 

Also worthy of attention is ensuring your stands, clamps and supports for your glassware are up to the task.  This is because everything is locked together and bumps etc can easily snap joints whilst under this operational stress.

edo

Swim just woke from his second dream
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »
Swim just woke from his second dream  ;D  Swim noticed both times after he gassed via Video Editor's method at the end the toluene turned ornage.
Swim was wondering if this is supposed to happend every time? Swim saved the orange toluene cause solvents can be reused.

p.s  about 75% of the black stain on my fingers faded...
swim uses vacuum grease.    8)

Prometheuz

More effective skin-dying agents
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »
I agree with Rhodium that silvernitrate is one of the best, longest lasting, hardest to get rid of substance that discolors the skin. About 30 years ago it was one of the initiation rites at the place SWIM study to paint a certain symbol on the foreheads of the freshmen. That's not done anymore, for some reason... ::)
During my latest lab-work, I found a great skin-dye: Ninhydrin. It reacts with amino acids to give an intense purple colour. Your greasy palms contain plenty of amino acids to facilitate the reaction, and the stuff is quite potent. It's also become widely employed by lawenforcement to get fingerprints off porous material, where the usual methods, like sophisticated powder-formulations, doesn't work. The nasty stains can be removed with sodium hypochlorite, though.
My hands also underwent accidental localized treatment with the following effective dyes during the last month:
2,4-dinitrophenylhydazine-reagent
Methylene Blue (solution and solid)
Potassium permanganate (can be removed with H2O2
... And other easier removable dyes/chemicals.
No serious accidents or colorings, just... "chemists-hands", with an assortment of coloured blots if you look closely. But well, they disappear after max a week... I normally only use gloves when handling very hazardous stuff (hate the idea that something might get inside the glove, and I'd have to waste time getting the glove off before flushing), but maybe my GF instructs me to use them when handling skin-dying material as well... ::)