Author Topic: sulfuric availability  (Read 1802 times)

methium

sulfuric availability
« on: December 15, 2002, 12:52:00 PM »
Hmmm. Is it true, where has all the sulfuric gone? The western coastal Home Center style DIYer' stores have all quit stocking "drain opener" type sulfuric. :(

By the time you finish reading this, another person will want to learn to make meth.

odin

Here whwre I live the problem is different, I ...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 02:09:00 PM »
Here whwre I live the problem is different, I have never seen on TV, newspapers that any illegal lab has been busted, making meth is not popular (ppl buy drugs) but not a single product has a chem. composition on the tag.
Try car battery sulphuric (replacement catridges) !

methium

It
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 12:44:00 AM »
Mearly an inconvienience, one that causes the average purchaser to root out new sources and then exploit them.

You can remove the ingredients with which a cook prepares,
VIOLA! The cook shall show you his mastery.
See it prepared another way, with different ingredients.
See it turn out MORE deliceous than before.
See it cost less to make.
See it prepared in large and impressive amounts.
A cook only works his art out of love for the result.
;)

By the time you finish reading this, another person will want to learn to make meth.

spectralmagic

Some interesting but perhaps useless ideas...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 03:14:00 PM »
In a pinch, could one heat a sulfate salt to liberate SO3 gas, bubble this through water and create H2SO4?  I seem to recall this is how sulfuric acid was first made...  I have no idea what temperatures are involved, and I would imagine that SO3 is nasty stuff.

Using epsom salts (magnesium sulfate):
MgSO4 + heat -> MgO + SO3
SO3 + H2O -> H2SO4

Or...  burn sulfur to create SO2, bubble that through water to create H2SO3 (sulfurous acid), which would then auto-oxidize to sulfuric acid with exposure to air?  Or is that a pipe dream (I have no idea if SO2 likes water as much as SO3)?

S8 + 8 O2 -> 8 SO2
SO2 + H2O -> H2SO3
2 H2SO3 + O2 -> 2 H2SO4

Even if both ideas work, it would be a really stupid waste of time to try them if you can get sulfuric acid through any other means.

Add your thread to the rich tapestry of conspiracy...
... and wave hello at the satellites!

Polverone

bonsai industrial
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 10:33:00 PM »
Some transition metal sulfates will yield SO3 when heated to high temperatures. So will alkali hydrogen sulfates. A slightly more practical method would therefore be heating ammonium sulfate to form NH3 and NH4HSO4, reacting the NH4SO4 with Na2CO3 and heating moderately to volatilize the ammonium carbonate, then heating strongly to liberate SO3. This might actually be worthwhile if you can already get H2SO4 and need a small amount of oleum. There are also methods that do use oxidation of aqueous H2SO3 to form H2SO4. The problem is that the acid formed is not concentrated, and removing the extra water is very energy-intensive and potentially hazardous. Unless you have incredible dedication, I doubt that it is worth the trouble of synthesizing all your materials. But it is fun to see how one could theoretically accomplish such tasks.

19th century digital boy

ScuzZ

Draino
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 06:57:00 AM »
Draino is still commonly available in Australia, there's even a very dilute solution being used for industrial grade disinfectant.

3% / Litre.. I think..

Anansi

Draino in Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 07:21:00 PM »
There might well be another product made by and labelled as Draino in Australia, but the product predominatly available under this name is a mixture of small prills of NaOH and pellets of Al.

If there is also a liquid draino product on the market here that I havent noticed it may well contain sulfuric acid.

Hope this helps,

...Anansi

ScuzZ

Public Outlets.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 08:53:00 PM »
You don't go to public outlets like supermarkets and corner stores, you go to places where farmers buy their products, they supply almost everything in 10 -> 20 litre containers, and sulphuric acid and hydrochloric acid are some of the best sellers.
If I was allowed to post sources I would give you some, but there are heaps in the Yellow Pages.

BenWiFFen

Many ways around
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 04:20:00 AM »
There's alot of way to circumvent h2so4.

Stash Masters_-_Batch and release.

Anansi

Draino
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2002, 05:10:00 AM »
ScuzZ : You don't go to public outlets like supermarkets and corner stores, you go to places where farmers buy their products, they supply almost everything in 10 -> 20 litre containers, and sulphuric acid and hydrochloric acid are some of the best sellers.
If I was allowed to post sources I would give you some, but there are heaps in the Yellow Pages. 

I never disputed the fact that ther are many sources of sulfuric acid in Australia, some of which may be found in
the Yellow Pages!!

I merely wished to point out that the product predominantly/exclusively sold under the brand name of "Draino" in Australia is a solid, comprising small prills of NaOH and small Al pellets. And also that to my knowledge no product branded "draino" contains any sulfuric acid in Australia.

bornagainpagan

liter of 98.9% sighted last seen....
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 01:37:00 AM »
it seems that I at one time was searching high and low for the shit, then one day I realized that it had been only a couple ailes away the whole time almost pure although it was old and had to be filtered to remove black chunks of crap floating around in it. since then it seems to have vanished although I still see some more dilute and more exspensive possibilities marketed for replenihing auto batteries. usually from 30-70 bucks for motorcycle battery's. although ive seen it in bulk form 99.9% used at battery remanufacturing shops.

morpheus

Try web site
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 11:45:00 AM »
If you don't have it at hardware stores try the corporations
web site to order.Think of Johnny Walker(red or black label)
There is also a type of tape.Its in Dallas.Drain Opener 1 litre
93% Sulfuric Acid.
PM me and I'll give you phone #