Author Topic: amatuer chemist with....safrole ? go easy..fokes  (Read 3144 times)

technology

amatuer chemist with....safrole ? go easy..fokes
« on: June 27, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »
hello all, please go easy on me it is my first time.

i have a question about safrole, first i have not begun the synth yet, for this reason i want to cover all angles of concern. one, from searching around the hive i have noticed people talk about purification of safrole. i have sassafras oil from china supos-90% safrole. is it as easy dont mean easy, u kno what i mean!!! as the safrole faq says, just distill under vacuum and recieve safrole.

do i need to purify it. or once distilled can i go on to the wacker step.

sorry to those all who consider this irrelevant, it is just, that i want to cover all angles as perfection of process is the key .

i consider my self to have a good understanding, however, i feel that the FAQ's are based for people with backgroung knowledge. however, i understand the synth but there are always questions of concern that will perhaps arise throughout my trial and error. thanks to those who help me..!!!!! :P  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Rhodium

Distillation comes highly reccommended
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »
Purification of your precursors and intermediates after each step will ensure you a pure product, a high yield and will save you from problems and headaches later on in the synthesis due to impurities present from the start. I strongtly reccommend you to distill your oil.

technology

yes but...
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 11:16:00 AM »
i understand that you have to distil the oil to obtain safrole but do i have to purify the safrole, or after distillation is it ready for the next step.... :-[ the wacker process.. thanks all.

Rhodium

Sassafras Distillation = Purification of Safrole
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 11:29:00 AM »
The slow, careful distillation of sassafras oil (distill so that 1-2 drops/second distills over, preferably using a fractionating column* in your distillation setup) will leave you with safrole pure enough to use in the next step (the Wacker oxidation, for example).

* See for example

Post 330095

(wareami: "Azeotropes and Fract Dist.", Chemicals & Equipment)
and other posts at the Hive.

technology

cheerss RhoDiUm
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »
thanks for the reply i have a reasonably good understanding of chem but just want to clarify a few points. i was looking at getting a 200mm Vigurex column will that be sufficiant... 8) or would some one like to recommend something else..

so to trouble you all with my questions, however helping me hopefuly i can help others as the cycle will go ;)

cheers......TEcHnoLOGy.. :)