Author Topic: Amonium concerns  (Read 3300 times)

fuckensac

Amonium concerns
« on: August 25, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
im bout to atempt the sodium borohydride reaction but have a few concerns regarding the amine i need. I have no way of obtaining Amonium acetate but have shit loads of amonium sulfate. I know i can drip NaoH onto it and buble it into methanol (cold) and use the amonium/methanol solution but i havent seen any info regarding this and for a silly qustion can i use the amonium sulphate as is ???????? Abviously i want MDA and its Amonium Persulfate wich isnt much diferance or is it..........

no secrets are secrets for ever

terbium

Re: Amonium concerns
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
You are going to make MDA using sodium borohydride as the reducing agent? And most people thought that sodium cyanoborohydride was required!

terbium

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2001, 09:04:00 AM »
To paraphrase an engineer joke:

"Yesterday I couldn't even spell amonium and now I are a chemist!"

Rhodium

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
Yes, drip concentrated NaOH onto ammonium sulfate, and lead the gas into chilled methanol to get a methanolic ammonia solution. This can then be used together with a drying agent, MDP2P and NaBH4 to produce MDA. You cannot use ammonium persulfate here.

fuckensac

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
yes i didnt think you could use the sulfate as is. So for a 500g batch of MDP2P i should have atleast 1kg of amonium in methanol and the drying agent should it anhydrous epson salts??

Osmium

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Just an idea: maybe you should use the search engine, do some small scale experimentation first and then post a detailed writeup before trying industrial scale production.

fuckensac

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
the 2-1 ratio of amonium to MDP2P is taken from the NaBH4 write up im just replaceing amonium acetate with the amonium solution but im not sure about correct ratios. I did not think that 500g would be clasified as industrial but maby 10kg+. and is a drying agent absolute necesary with out too much loss in yield