Author Topic: DCM substitute..  (Read 2361 times)

DrBumpz

DCM substitute..
« on: June 12, 2002, 02:13:00 AM »
Sorry, been a long time since I was here at da Hive ( back when it was on Lyceaum )..what can substitute for DCM? Was it toluene? Damn..can't remember. Just can't ( sadly enough) find reliable source for it. I can find a source for every other fucking chem ( like DMF and whatnot!!). Oh well...any help is appreciated!!

**We'll miss you Strike!! The War is Over!!

PrimoPyro

Substitute for what? As a solvent?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2002, 02:39:00 AM »
Substitute for what? As a solvent?

Chloroform, carbon tetrachloride, diethyl ether, tetrahydrofuran, petroleum ether, hexane, heptane, cyclohexane, toluene, xylenes, benzene, methanol, ethanol, isopropanol, and thousands others.

But it really depends on what properties you are looking for, and what you are wanting to use the solvent for.

I could list acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and MIBK also, but their properties are different even though they are "solvents". So what do you want to do with it?

PrimoPyro

bbman

CHloroform
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 11:06:00 AM »
Chemically, chloroform is the closest to DCM

DCM = dichloromethane
Chloroform = trichloromethane

Chromic

Methylene chloride
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2002, 01:36:00 PM »
You can substitute methylene chloride in place of DCM.  ;D

You haven't looked hard enough if you can't find methylene chloride (aka DCM).

HINTS:
Any place that sells DMF
Any place that sells Plexiglas (aka Lucite)
Any place that sells paints (distill before use)

DrBumpz

What I meant...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2002, 06:11:00 PM »
What I meant was as a replacement solvent for the BrightStar'ish Wacker Oxidation + Al/Hg Amalgam!! I knew there were perfectly fine substitutes available pure canned at hardware stores. Don't want to have to distill it out when I can just go buy something pure that works just as well. So what I really meant was something I can buy pure at hardware stores or OTC ( Xylene, Toluene, Acetone, Ethanol, Denatured Alcohol etc. ). Or DMF would work..I found that ( just a tad pricey! ). But I found it where they don't carry DCM believe it or not! Thanks for any feedback!

Chromic

distilling DCM
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2002, 09:08:00 PM »
So what are you going to do with your leftover DCM anyways? You're going to have to distill it to reclaim it.

It's part of the job distilling and reusing solvents (I reuse my cleaning solvent, DCM, toluene, perc, etc!), what's there to be afraid of doing it once from the get-go?