Author Topic: Jewelry for catalyst metals?  (Read 2037 times)

halfkast

Jewelry for catalyst metals?
« on: August 12, 2003, 08:57:00 PM »
Has anybee heard of jewelry beeing used for acquiring precious metals?

I've heard of catalytic converters having catalyst extracted from them, but what about jewelry?
There was nothing in the SE (newbee and acquirement forums anyway) which was kind of surprising.

I guess Pd and Pt are unsuitable for jewelry.

methyl_ethyl

Pt
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
I guess Pd and Pt are unsuitable for jewelry.

Platinum is very suitable for jewelry, however for platinum jewlery to be marketed and stamped Platinum or Pt or Plat it must be 95% pure.  That carries quite a price tag, especially when it holds one of those 5 carat rocks in the middle  ;)

So I think it is a practicality issue, I am not sure of the use of palladium in jewelry, but I know platinum, rhodium, and irridium, are sometimes conglomerated into a type of platinum.  I think I have seen it stamped as (ir)plat or something.

halfkast

Thanks, and right.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 09:53:00 PM »
methyl_ethyl, thanks a lot for that!

The craftsmanship is beeing paid for aswell, so unless it's a bargain private sell it wouldn't bee financially practical.

I wish Au was more chemically useful, I'm going to find out why I can't use that and complain vigorously imaginarily.  :(

calcium

precious metals
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 02:58:00 PM »
Pure platinum is available from precious metal dealers. Rhodium, irridium as well as others are available as electroplating solutions. A clever bee should be able to figure out how to buy them online and harvest the pure metal from a simple plating bath.

halfkast

beautiful
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 05:09:00 PM »
conversing with bullion companies
hehe some of the precious metal websites are really top notch naturally.

Ill look in to electro-plating, and catalytic converters. But precious metal suppliers is perfect (look no further ever...for a price) long-term, considering it won't be used up in the reaction, well except for cleaning.

I wonder if the bullion companies would physically release the metal if it is leased. Somehow I doubt it.  8)