Author Topic: distilling sassafrass no vacuum  (Read 2785 times)

tone3721

distilling sassafrass no vacuum
« on: August 04, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »
ok,
Swim has used tfse to find info on this. Swim has been dreaming about distilling sassafrass without vacuum, as far as he/she can tell bp of safrole at normal atmospheric pressure=232 degrees c right? the only other thing swim would need to do different is "tent" the flask witth foil right? in other words wrap it with foil? Also i would need to use a fbf instead of a rbf right?

DoctorFeelgood

buy a water aspirator
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:20:00 AM »
and spent 20-30 bucks - very cheap. if not, consider freezing it -> use TFSE.

Tdurden969

Yea just freeze seperate it.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 01:28:00 AM »
Yea just freeze seperate it. UTFSE for the procedure

But you need to think about finding a vacuum source If you plan on making anything decent with the stuff.

r2e3

aspirator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »
at least - dont waste your money charing what you have got

freezing - yea - may or may not.. get desired result

bp is a wonderful thing

XrLeap

you can actually distill it under atmĀ ...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »
you can actually distill it under atm pressure, only about 1% of thingy will become char(no referrence, but experience). You can then use the distilled safrole as seed for crystallisation, watch out for the melting of your crystal seed. :)

r2e3

fair call
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »
if it works it works. never tried it myself.

OcoteaCymbarum

Both safrole and iso can be distilled at 1 atm
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »
without any problems.
I have often used both vacuum and atm distillation for safrole with no difference with the end product.
Anyway, sassafras oil contains higher boiling constituents, so I've never seen any tar doing it at atm.
You will definitely need a vacuum pump or asspirator for later stages, but if you want to get away with distilling safrole no vacuum, feel free, no problem there.

fnord

dust off
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
try useing a can of dust off(1,1 tetroflurathane?) turned upside down with a straw going into your sassy if the crystalls dont start

EvilMadChemist

hah , i happend to have 2 new bottles of Dust...
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »
hah , i have 2 new bottles of Dust off , but mine contain DiFluoroethane.

CAS# 75-37-6

fnord

itll still work
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »
itll still work every kind of dust off ive ran into spits out freezing gas when turned upside down and the gas evaporates completely(afaik) in a very short period of time, so if u have a crappy frezzer that dosent get to a suitable temp this could be your answer

tone3721

um
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
Freezing seems pretty plausible, swim has researched the subject a bit. However, swim wont be freezing it. Just wanted to know if i was right for the theoretical, atmospheric distillation of safrole. I realize that later stages would necesitate a vacuum.

much thanks for the input,
TONE