Author Topic: vacuum filtration setup help  (Read 3107 times)

homeslice

vacuum filtration setup help
« on: April 04, 2003, 11:02:00 PM »

homeslice

i did use the search engine???????
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 03:05:00 AM »
i did search the engine for like 10 minutes before i made that post????
i search for vacuum filtration and i get 17 posts and none answer any of my questions? i search for filtration and i get 84 posts and by skimming through them they just address problems with filtrating after the whole thing is set up? half of them talk about a thread with the title membership inFiltration?

all i want to know is the name of the stopper that is used for my buchner funnel to attach to my filter flask?

Rhodium

Boolean operators & TFSE
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 03:51:00 AM »
There are more search engines in the universe than TFSE of the Hive, google for example. With that you can find companies selling labware (or colleges teaching lab skills) and see that they refer to the rubber thingies as...

half of them talk about a thread with the title membership infiltration?

Such a problem is common, and then you either use the radio-buttons to the right in TFSE to for example exclude the Couch if you are searching for chemistry stuff, or another more powerful method is to use boolean operators, so instead of a basic search for "filtration" (which would give both hits about vacuum filtration and infiltration) you write "filtration NOT infiltration" (the NOT operator excludes the word which follows from the search), resulting in only the desirable hits being listed.

EDIT: I tested the actual keywords above, and now I really wonder from what planet you are? You say you spent 10 minutes with TFSE and only found 17 hits on "vacuum filtration"? You should really read my TFSE User's guide:

Post 423937 (missing)

(Rhodium: "RTFM for TFSE ;-)", Newbee Forum)

It took me 1 minute to perform the three searches below:

"vacuum filtration" - 402 Hits
"filtration" - 1161 Hits
"filtration NOT infiltration" - 1104 Hits

Could you please tell me what you did wrong, and why you didn't discover that in 10 minutes? It would help me immensely in understanding why people are having trouble with it...

lugh

Rhodium's Page
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 03:54:00 AM »
If you would have looked at Rhodium's page, you would have found:

http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/filt/filtration.html

which should answer any questions you might have  ;D  You newbees need to spend more time studying, and less time posting, it takes a lot more than ten minutes unless you"re a master searcher  ;)

homeslice

what i did exactly was click on search up top...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 07:40:00 PM »
what i did exactly was click on search up top then type in under subject "vacuum filtration" and press enter and i get:
Search results  Matches 1 to 17 of 17 

what i didnt do is go and search subject and body bc then you get a ton of posts and 99% just mention it somewhere in the post?

Rhodium

Too many hits?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 02:04:00 AM »
If you get too many hits, you add more and more relevant search terms to your query until you get a manageable amount of hits, naturally. Google routinely gives thousands of hits on any query, do you always give up there too?

You can't just rely on searching in the subject field, if you look at many of the subject titles cosen for the posts here, you see that they do not reflect the content fully...