Author Topic: 2-Br-1,4-diMeO-B's mp?  (Read 6056 times)

Rhodium

One article I read suggested the sublimation of ...
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
One article I read suggested the sublimation of 1,4-DMB, followed by vacuum distillation of the dimethoxybromobenzene residue.

lugh

Remedy
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2002, 11:33:00 PM »

BTW, forgive my ignorance, but what are these four systems of English nomenclature, and who developed them? Every system of word-based nomenclature I've ever encountered seemed inherently German in structure. I can't think of any fundamental nomenclature practices that weren't first developed by German chemists, and then later adopted by the rest of the world.

The best remedy for ignorance is a trip to the library, fresh air is a good thing  ;D  If one were to do this, one might find out that at one time there was a traditional terminology used by organic chemists in the English speaking world, then the Royal Chemical Society devised a scheme of nomenclature (as seen in the Dictionary of Organic Compounds); not to be outdone by the English, the American Chemical Society devised their own system of nomenclature (as seen in Chemical Abstracts); and in 1957 the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry decided to end this conflict with their system, which is the standard now  :)  The purpose of this forum is chemistry, not history, so there's no reason to discuss again the primal nature of German Organic Chemistry, or for that matter, the fact that English is partially derived from Old German  ;D  The point is that it can be confusing using English chemistry publications with alternative naming systems  ;D

yellium

> product was a black oil...
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
> product was a black oil...

Probably bromine leftovers :-). Try washing with sodium hydrosulfite, as in PiHKAL #127.