Author Topic: Straight to E solvents  (Read 2766 times)

Agni

Straight to E solvents
« on: May 20, 2004, 03:58:00 AM »
I really like the simplicity and results i have read about the straight to e method, so today i went out to buy all the neccesary chems. I ran into one problem, i couldnt find xylene, and when i asked the store employe i got a very long hard stare. What are you using THAT for?! i replied that it was for disolving pvc pipe so i could make a slurry for composite rocket engines. he bought it and told me that ill have a grreat deal of trouble finding xylene in california because its used for making crank...
Now my question, can i use japan dryer as a replacment for the xylene? i checked out the automotive stores in my area and cant find any products that contain what i need. thanks for the help! Any advice on the striagh to e method when using generic 120's would be much apreicated!

wareami

No...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »
Toluene is the closest solvent to xylene.
But if they don't have xylene...it's unlikely you'll find tolly.

Agni

oops
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 04:33:00 AM »
i thought that using japan dryer sounded kinda funny, the reason i asked was because the guy at the hardware store told me the closest thing they had to xylene was japan dryer.

wareami

Ironic....
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »
That's outrageously ironic! How much ya wanna bet the clerk is a bee and was trying to push ya toward a more effective means of extraction considering the unavailability of the restricted solvents. :o
Jap drier(being an additive to paints to speed drying) cannot be used in place of tolly or xylene in any application anyware legit or otherwise.

Agni

thanks!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 03:27:00 AM »
Thank you all for your responces, as you can tell this is my first time so regardless of all the research ive been doing i still dont know exactly what im doing lol. for soem reason i was thinking that the xylene was used not to extract the e but to help dry the naptha that the e was already disolved in, ughhh thats what i get for thinking!! haha well thank you all very much!

wareami

Damn.....
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 04:15:00 AM »