Author Topic: 2c-i ala shulgin newbee post  (Read 3208 times)

tripbee

2c-i ala shulgin newbee post
« on: January 10, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »
first of all, hi bee's

I have floated in over the last few (3) years thx to you all

swim is interested in forming 2c-i ala shulgin from 
"N-(2-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethyl)phthalimide"

but alas swim has no idea of what conc acetic acid or any idea
on what conc hydrazine hydrate to use either. :)

here is what shulgin did

--------snip--------------------------------------
To a solution of 12.9 g N-(2-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethyl)phthalimide in 130 mL warm (35 deg C) acetic acid which was
 being vigorously stirred, there was added a solution of 10 g iodine monochloride in 40 mL acetic acid.  This was
stirred for 1 h, while being held at about 30 deg C.  The reaction mixture was poured into 1500 mL H2O and extracted
with 4x75 mL CH2Cl2.  The extracts were pooled, washed once with 150 mL H2O containing 2.0 g sodium dithionite, and
the solvent removed under vacuum to give 16.2 g of N-(2-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)ethyl)phthalimide as yellow amber
solids with a mp of 133-141 deg C.  This mp was improved by recrystallization from 75 mL CH3CN, yielding 12.2 g of a
pale yellow solid with mp 149-151 deg C.  A small sample from a large quantity of IPA gives a white product melting at
 155.5-157 deg C.

A solution of 12.2 g N-(2-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)ethyl)phthalimide in 150 mL hot IPA was treated with 6.0 mL
of hydrazine hydrate, and the clear solution was heated on the steam bath.  After a few minutes there was the generation
 of a white cottage cheese-like solid (1,4-dihydroxyphthalizine).  The heating was continued for several additional h,
 the reaction mixture cooled, and the solids removed by filtration.  These were washed with 2x10 mL EtOH, and the pooled
filtrate and washes stripped of solvent under vacuum giving a residue which, when treated with aqueous hydrochloric acid,
 gave 3.43 g of voluminous white crystals.  This, after recrystallization from 2 weights of H2O, filtering, washing first
 with IPA and then with Et2O, and air drying, gave 2.16 g 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenethylamine hydrochloride (2C-I) as a
white microcrystalline solid, with a mp of 246-247 deg C.  Anal. (C10H15ClINO2) C,H,N.

-------snip--------------------------------------

swim has succeded creating a few amphetamines and wishes to try something a little more
interesting with a modest chem background (alas no formal organic chem training) and
an optimistic heart i throw this help line out.

this is my first post and yes i have utfse
any help both on the chems and on post structure thx ;D

Rhodium

Don't take unnecessary risks
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 07:26:00 PM »
When nothing else is specified in a synthesis, "acetic acid" in the chemical literature always refers to 100% Glacial Acetic Acid.

Hydrazine Hydrate corresponds to 65% aqueous hydrazine, as hydrazine (N2H4) has a molar weight of 32 g/mol, while water (H2O) is 18g/mol. (32+18)/32 = 0.65

I must however stress that I do not reccommend that you handle neither iodine monochloride or hydrazine hydrate, given your apparently limited knowledge of chemistry. There are several other methods at your disposal (not requiring nearly as noxious chemicals) for performing the desired chemical transformation, like the following two:

None

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/doisynth.html)

Post 383499

(Barium: "A little 2C-I perhaps", Novel Discourse)
: Potassium Iodide/Oxone

Chimimanie

Yes but he will start from the phtalimide
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 01:52:00 AM »
This N-(2-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethyl)phthalimide is avaiable from res. c. industry, I found it one week ago. Hydrazine is used for deprotecting the amine from the phtalimide, its nasty stuff, hydrazine is watched but can be made at home but I really do not recommend it to a newbee who doesn't know what is acetic acid.

Try to find another supplier of the pure chemical, there are plenty of them, but don't try this synth now you aren't skilled enough, UTFSE.

I think that is incredible that the protected 2c-h is freely avaiable! Man what imagination these RC householder have! I strongly believe this article will draw a lot of money ::) ...

And don't brominate the deprotected amine :-[ ! The resulting substance will bee illegal in most of the countries of the world ;)  :-[ ! Do not buy bromine, generation of bromine is possible from KBr and an oxydising agent UTFSE.

PolytheneSam

See Post 381740
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »
See

Post 381740

(PolytheneSam: "Gabriel sythesis patents", Chemistry Discourse)

#aa8800 = [#aa8800]

tripbee

thx for the feedback
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 01:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback
thanks for the warning also rhod

while searchin i read up upon hydrazine hydrate and also iodine monochloride i agree that these are both nasty chems.
i had assumed that the acetic acid was GAA.
Also i assumed that the hydrazine hydrate was in the high conc as well, and was rather suprized to find your (rhod) recomendation to be as low as 65%.I am thinking you have shulgins book and this says the exact method (detailed).

also thanks for the patents PolytheneSam. i like the idea of a less toxic approach. Tho i am slightly baffeled on how to search up and use patents.
time for a bit of a head scratch to get the old thinkin juices flowin.
once again thanks for the replies.

tripbee

swap hydrazine hydrate for Monoethanolamine
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2003, 06:30:00 PM »
so methinks
some Monoethanolamine at 80 deg c + N-(2-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)ethyl)phthalimide added dropwize/ little at a time. react for 15min - 1hr. filter and wash using non-polar solvent saveing what comes through the filter. add an equal amt of water as non p solv acidify saving h2o, recrystalize...

will post weights and maths soon
this doesnt solve the iodine monochloride part tho.
back to the search engine...