Author Topic: halogenating alkyltryptamines  (Read 1955 times)

psycosmo

halogenating alkyltryptamines
« on: September 08, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
If one were to treat an NN, dialkylated tryptamine with say Cl2, I2, or Br2, what position(s) on the aromatic ring would the halogen end up on? How does the fact that the pyrrole is attached to 2 positions on the benzene effect ortho-para substitution?
Anyway, is there any chance that the halogen might end up in the 4- position?
I note that in descriptions of the psilocin biosynth pathway the OH as added after N-alkylation
If this is so then It might be interesting to treat some plant xTracts with a halogen, then NaOH....

Rhodium

Re: halogenating alkyltryptamines
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I'm afraid that regular halogenation would place the halogen in the 2-position on the indole ring. But besides that, the 5-position is the most activated spot on the benzene part of the molecule.

Stonium

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
Is this a topic for the Newbee forum?

Oh/Well,
Stonium

Actually officer, if you factor in the earth's rotation, we were all speeding.

Lilienthal

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2001, 08:37:00 PM »
It's the 2-position which will be substituted.

megamole

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »
If you halogenate using Br2, you will get a mixture of 5- and 7- halogenation. The nitrogen in the 1-position activates the benzene ring, i.e. ortho-,para-directing, respective to itself. You can select the 5-position by acetylating the 1-position, which provides steric hindrance to protect the 7-position. Alternatively, you can halogenate exculsively the 7-position by selecting a halogenating agent that coordinates with the amine (the reagent escapes me at the moment.)

"Give me ten minutes with your inner child, and I'll give you back an inner adult."