Author Topic: producing nh3  (Read 2626 times)

sublevel

producing nh3
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »
Does anyswim have any experience or theoretical ramblings
about producing anhydrous ammonia from ANFO.(anfo is a blasting agent containing ammonium nitrate and fuel additives)

Just a question nothing more just wanna settle a bet.
cheers for any positive input.

mr_pyrex

Well if'n it has ammonium in the name it is...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18:00 AM »
Well if'n it has ammonium in the name it is quite likely that ammonia can bee generated from the compound its just a matter of how to go about releasing it and whether or not it is cost effective and can be performed without unnecessary risk to yourself and others in the immediate area.  As for someone replying to your question as to having experience with the mentioned technique..I wouldn't hold your breath I mean you are asking a question that has no beneficial learning value for anyone other then possibly yourself, so why would someone reply.   Just my 3.5 cents worth...no disrespect intended mind you.  Pyrex out of explainations

Rhodium

This isn't a bet settlement institution, but...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »
ANFO is 90%+ Ammonium Nitrate (NH4NO3) and <10% diesel oil or similar. The diesel can be washed off with any non-polar solvent, and after drying the ammonium nitrate, it is treated with a concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide:

NH4NO3 + NaOH(aq) -> NaNO3(aq) + NH3(g)

The gas is then dried (KOH or NaOH drying tower) and condensed (dry ice cooler). There you have your anhydrous ammonia.

Now, as this is rather off topic after you have gotten your answer, I'll close this thread.