Author Topic: Its about time!! OTC DCM  (Read 8438 times)

scram

Its about time!! OTC DCM
« on: December 10, 2000, 12:49:00 AM »
Christ! been on this sight almost 2 years and I finnally now just find out who the hell "Wally-World" is and that he has DCM straight from a can. I never wanted to order this stuff just because. Screw distilling it from Zipstrip. Im walking throught the isles of wally world and low n' behold in the gun dept is a specific gun cleaner in a red/white/blue/black can for $6.17 for 454g of this stuff. As soon as I saw it say "Contains Chlorinated Solvent" and "Non Flammable," along with "vapours heavier than air, do not use in closed areas such as basements," I was exstatic. I decided to do one last test and 'snaked' on some I'd sprayed out into the cap (snake means raw saliva that comes from your gland under your tongue, looks just like a Cobra that spits), sure enough the water floated on top of the solvent. Whooo-hoooo! Aint she a beauty said the crocodile hunter!
 The can felt heavy like it should for a normal size spray can. Bought 2 bottles and took it home, chilled bottle and glass container to spray it in, stuff came out clear. Got some 600+ml out of 2 454g bottles, just about inline with the sg of DCM. Now, How about this stuff for ketone extractions on the 02 wacker. How does it rate next to toluene, is it ~ 400ml DCM to 100ml ketone, will that be enought. I can't wait to work up somehting using way less solvent that Toluene! This stuff smells really harmful to the lungs.

KrZ

Re: Its about time!! OTC DCM
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2000, 01:31:00 AM »
Why not do a simple distillation, check the bp, and give us a name so we can contact the manufacturer eh?

scram

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2000, 03:51:00 AM »
Hey KrZ, why don't you get down over here, give up sum of dat' ass and we can talk. We get down right here, you wanna get down, lay down that booty and we .....
No Posting of sources, no no no. Really, I don't remember the name but its the only 16oz spray type gun clenaer they had. All others were smaller and mentioned other ingredients. This doesn't mention ingredients, but the only non-flammable solvent I've ever heard being used was dcm. Its got to be it. flows very easily, seems to flow easier than water actually. It burns when it gets on sensitive skin areas like the scrotum and such. Im confident enough to use it without testing, It just stinks so bad that I don't want to boil any of it in my place and is too expensive. Evaporates extremely fast (in seconds). Now give up some of dat ass and we talking then. How much of this stuff is need to sufficiently hold ketone? Seems like 2/1 to 3/1 ratios from what I've found on the search engine.

scram

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2000, 05:53:00 AM »
Some bee (never seen him b4) just posted the source. %$@^ Damn It, if you kept that secret for so long without letting us know Im pissed off! Took me 20 months to find that stuff. He has erased his thread since this note, but yeah, that is the company that I was referring to.

ps: Aye man, whoever you were that edited your post (deleting it after posting the company), it seems you've used this before, is it dcm??? pure???

noj

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2000, 05:56:00 AM »

1,1,1-Trichloroethane (C2H3Cl3) with a bp 74.08 and sg 1.32

We are all learners, doers, teachers.

scram

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2000, 05:57:00 AM »
interchangable with DCM???

noj

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2000, 05:59:00 AM »
sorry bout that, removed the links, and just posted the chem itself. No, never used it, in same boat as you are (not wanting to distill paint thinner). If anyone knows it would be nice to know if it will work, I bought 3 cans of it.

noj

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2000, 06:04:00 AM »
you say you put this stuff on yer balls??? I've heard some testing methods but this one takes the cake.

serodronin

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2000, 04:29:00 PM »
DCM and chloroform are relatively interchangable.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted all the rest follows.

serodronin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2000, 04:32:00 PM »
is it 454gr. or 16oz.?  16oz of chloroform is more like 800gr.  it would probably be cheaper to get chloroform this way than by making it.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted all the rest follows.

Chromic

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »
Sero, that chlorinated solvent posted above (1,1,1-trichloroethane) isn't chloroform (trichloromethane) and it's definitely not DCM (dichloromethane).

Btw, it's not 800g either:
16 fluid oz = 454ml = 687g of chloroform = 599g DCM = 603g of 1,1,1-TCE.

However, everyone here is talking about a can that is 454g or 16oz.

And yes, relatively speaking, chloronated solvents are interchangable. (just like more aromatic solvents are interchangable)

serodronin

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2000, 01:12:00 AM »
sory, it was late and I was trippin.  thought I read trichloromethane and didn't see the line on the left in the structural diagram.  I wasn't trying to be precise on the weight, I was just pointing out that a 16 oz can is not 454g of solvent.  Since they don't sell cans in wallyworld based on gram measurements, then he was probably referring to a 16oz can.

scram

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2000, 03:18:00 AM »
The can says "NET WEIGHT 16 OZ (454 g). " Unfortunately, I broke my glass cylinder and have not had the time to accurately measure this stuff. But it seems that 2 (454g each) can made approx ~575 - 725 ml of liquid. Did you test the bp of this stuff, I think it might be more like the bp of dcm instead. Burnts my skin between the fingers where it meets the hand where skin is sensitive.

LeVogue

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
Ever heard of Nitromors ?

Contains Methylenchloride CH2Cl2.
It's a UK Varnish removing product.

'Big Meth Cooking Competition 2000' ....What date was that ?

scram

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2000, 10:12:00 PM »
All the products we have like that which I've seen have the consistency of sludge requiring distillation. This gun scrubber is definately dcm. I went out smelling various other products known to have dcm as their first ingredient listed, smells exactly the same except does not contain the under-tones of the shit you dont want like methanol, MEK, ethyl acetate, etc.
..dumb raver kids, all they want to do is eat the shit up like kiddie crack.

zooligan

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »

This gun scrubber is definately dcm.  I went out smelling various other products known to have dcm as their first ingredient listed, smells exactly the same except does not contain the under-tones of the shit you dont want like methanol, MEK, ethyl acetate, etc.
..dumb raver kids, all they want to do is eat the shit up like kiddie crack.

Don't be a dumb raver kid yourself.  Ask the Wally-world manager to get the MSDS on the product you are talking about (the store is required to carry it by law).  It will spell out exactly what is in the product.  Then no more guesses, speculation, smelling, etc.  You will KNOW.

Do it and post what you find.  Don't make me go to Wally and get it myself, cuz if you are wrong, I will have to post about how easy it was and embarass you.  :o

z

improv_chem

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2000, 10:27:00 PM »
SWIM just finished using perchloroethelene for an extraction solvent.  Seems to work well just like chloroform or DCM.  Get a large spray can of break cleaner and read the contents. 
SWIM usually likes ether but break cleaner will work in a pinch.
doesn't smell quite like DCM though..
:)

It's all just a dream, I hope i don't wake up because of that incessent buzzing sound...

Methyl_Man

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2000, 01:10:00 AM »
Hey kids, forget the mystery hydrocarbon gun cleaners... a fellow named "noj" has just been kind enough to point out in a nearby thread that a product made by "Loctite" is 100% DCM: "Equipment Flushing Solvent" (Item #12121). According to Loctite's website their products can be bought at the following retailers:

Ace Hardware, Albertson's, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, K-Mart, Lowe's, Menard, Office Max, Rite-Aid, Sears, Staples, Tru-Serv, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, & Winn-Dixie.

Of course most (if not all) of these won't have such a solvent stocked, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that any of them that distribute Loctite products can order it for you special. So set up a gallon or two today!  ;D

~~~"There's a methyl to my madness"~~~

noj

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »
That gunscrubber is not DCM. The MSDS states:

===========================================================================
                     Ingredients/Identity Information
===========================================================================
Proprietary: NO
Ingredient: CARBON DIOXIDE
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: 2-20
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: FF6400000
CAS Number: 124-38-9
OSHA PEL: 5000 PPM
ACGIH TLV: 5000PPM       9394
Other Recommended Limit: NONE RECOMMENDED
-------------------------------------
Proprietary: NO
Ingredient: 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE (SARA III)
Ingredient Sequence Number: 02
Percent: 80-98
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: KJ2975000
CAS Number: 71-55-6
OSHA PEL: 350 PPM
ACGIH TLV: 350 PPM/450STEL;9394
Other Recommended Limit: NONE RECOMMENDED

The information is available at www.hazard.com. Go to the MSDS site nearest you and type "gun scrubber" into the box. There is only one to choose from, being the product in question.

None the less, I would guess that it could be substituted for DCM, as long as the boiling points are far enough apart to properly distill.
I personally was able to get over a liter of DCM from zipstrip in less than an hour by filling the bathroom sink with hot water and letting it run slowly (allowing the overflow to drain down that little hole at the top) then wrapping a bunched up paper towel around the 3-way adapter and placing it in the can to create a seal, then placing the can in the sink. within 20 minutes you will get DCM coming over.

ChemReack

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »
I found it no problem, I simply walked into a plastics shop and there it was as pure as can be.

Once freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom!