Author Topic: Broken sep funnel. can it be fixed?  (Read 1536 times)

Castortrip

Broken sep funnel. can it be fixed?
« on: May 16, 2003, 09:00:00 PM »
i was trying to turn the knob to drain my junk and it snapped right where the end of the bulb meets the turner/spindle thing. i have all the glass so like if i had something to get it back together it would be solid again, but i don't know of anything that can hold glass acceps cyanoacrylate which is acetone soluble...that wouldent do me much good...any suggestions?

Castortrip

time to get a new funnel
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 10:03:00 PM »
look's like cheap ol' SWICZ throwin $40 down on a new funnel lol.

lugh

glassblower
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 10:10:00 PM »
A glass blower might fix it for less than $40.00  :)

jimwig

Lugh said it. Very good form to have made a...
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 10:56:00 PM »
Lugh said it.
Very good form to have made a working arrangement with a scientific glass blower. Even better form to be able to make small repairs on borosilicate oneself.

calcium

find a glassblower...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 01:43:00 AM »
In my experience, a glass blower will charge about twenty bucks or so to do the necessary repair. Part of the charge will be for "ashing" the broken parts prior to welding them. They put it in a kiln and ramp the temperature way up then back down to minimize the possibility of exposing the glassblower to toxins. Brand new glass doesn't need ashing and probably costs ten dollars to repair. At least in my neck of the woods.

ClearLight

actually that's not why..
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »
they clean in an ultrasonic bath.. they cycle the ware cause the heat of welding the joint causes temper stress and strain, so the annealing of the repair joint must be done...

That usually happens after the repair..

yah and that'll cost $20-40 or so.. they'll have to put a new stopcock in but not a problem..

calcium

ashing vs annealing
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »
Well, CL... my local scientific glassblower puts used glassware in the oven overnight to volatize anything nasty before doing repairs and they refer to this process as "ashing". Annealing happens afterward to relieve stress. Ashing, welding a fitting on and annealing costs twenty bucks. Drop it off monday, pick it up wednesday.

Castortrip

hehe I might just do that ;-) ya think he will
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »
hehe I might just do that ;)  ya think he will remove the stuck stopcock for me also? that fucking thing wont come out for anything!

calcium

yes he will...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
Your glassblower is able to remove a stuck stopcock and probably won't charge you for it if he's welding your funnel back together. Be sure to ask if they have any glassware laying around that you might be able to use, mine had a box full of useful (for me)RBF's they were willing to sell for next to nothing because they'd been in the way for a few years. Every bee should try to meet a scientific glass blower if possible. And since we all probably like to tour a shop full of cool tools, it's a fun afternoon.

abolt

A Tip
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 03:54:00 AM »
Remember to clean it thoroughly before taking it in to get repaired.

jimwig

Calcium- I like your glass man...
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 04:18:00 PM »
Calcium- I like your glass man... my guy is a little more than that. Does he do mail-order. PM me, if so.

I have this wunderful, large Branson ultrosonics cleaner- BUT it doesn't work. The digital controls are f*&^%$ed!!!

I gotta quit getting this stuff that allllmoossssttt works, but not quite.

the pile is getting deep.

calcium

Hey jimwig, lots of places can fix your ultrasonic
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 11:25:00 PM »
Google for someplace that fixes lab equipment and analytical balances... I bet they can make your bath shake! Or just contact the manufacturer, they'll do it or recommend someone.

Coitus

I
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 09:01:00 AM »
I used 5 minute epoxy on my filter funnel, still holding after many uses. I'd try it on the sep funnel.

Castortrip

hmmm well i wanna see a glassblower...askin...
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2003, 11:19:00 PM »
hmmm well i wanna see a glassblower...askin him for all that unused glass he's got layin atround is vrrry tempting  ;D  ;)  but did you have boiling hot NPs and shit in it while the epoxy was holding it? cause I mean if your posative it'll hold thru annnything ill give it a try, and beat it on the fuckin floor to make sure the crap holds just so i can break it for an excuse to go see a glass blower [MwaHHaH] :)

Coitus

well
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 11:16:00 AM »
A filter funnel does not undergo the same torture a sep funnel could be put thru,,,,,,
If you need it in 5 minutes, use the epoxy. If it's not needed right away, see the glassblower.