Author Topic: Eur. J. Med. Chem. 37 (2002) 527–539 (phenetylamin  (Read 3676 times)

hest

Eur. J. Med. Chem. 37 (2002) 527–539 (phenetylamin
« on: January 14, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »
Eur. J. Med. Chem. 37 (2002) 527–539
Invited Review
Arylethylamine psychotropic recreational drugs: a chemical
perspective
Sally Freeman a,*, John F. Alder b
a School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Uniersity of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Department of Instrumentation and Analytical Science, UMIST, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
Received 18 April 2002
-----------------
Abstract
The arylethylamines substituted in the aryl ring, side-chain carbons and on the terminal amine, comprise a large number of human mood and behaviour altering chemicals. Some of these psychotropic drugs have been used since pre-history, but in many states are proscribed and are consequently subject to clandestine synthesis and illegal traffic world-wide in the forms particularly of amphetamines and to a lesser extent tryptamines. The chemistry employed in the synthesis of these compounds is dictated often by the available precursors and relies usually on relatively simple, unsophisticated conversion reactions to a suitable product. The internet web sites and documentation of the recreational drug culture have been studied alongside the professional scientific and
regulatory literature. The review demonstrates the great complexity of the chemistry and neuro-pharmacology of these chemicals and the challenge faced by legislative bodies to control their traffic and use for the sake of social welfare.
-----------------------------------

I have the PDF here. Iff rhodium want it i'll mail it to him.
The hive and rhodium.ws is cited some times in the paper.
---------------------------------------

SpicyBrown

Cool paper.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 03:34:00 AM »
Its almost kind of odd to see things like TSII by Strike and numerous references to Rhodium's page in a scientific paper... A true sign that clandestine drug synthesis isn't made up of incompetent kitchen chemists, but talented people who really know what's up.

-SpicyBrown

starlight

i seem to remember
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 05:29:00 AM »
that this paper has been mentioned before here. Rhodium apparently corrected many mistakes in it and then they didn't give him the acknowledgement that they promised, simply acknowledging an "anonymous reader".

GC_MS

Your memory isn't failing on you, sunlight...
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »
Your memory isn't failing on you, sunlight... And even "corrected", the text contains many an error  :-[

Rhodium

Sally Freeman
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 06:04:00 AM »
Here is the uncorrected proof:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/clandestine.amphetamines.review.pdf

I think I spotted most of the errors and offered the correct explanation to her, complete with links and references. Despite this, she did not change her article on all those counts (I think I had 15-20 corrections for her). Notable is that she didn't remove the Tryptamine -MeI-> DMT reference (Fig 22, ref 67), even though I told her that the reaction had been proven not to work.

Sunlight

starlight and sunlight
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »
Similar but not the same, GC_MS :)