Author Topic: Interesting reading about the Wacker process  (Read 2806 times)

gabd

Interesting reading about the Wacker process
« on: January 17, 2003, 01:41:00 AM »
I just felt like sharing something I read today

The book is Palladium Reagents and Catalysts, Innovations in Organic Synthesis by Jiro Tsuji

So here's a quick fact list with their references. I havent looked into any of them yet but maybe some of you will feel like looking too. Of course some stuff might be known to most of you, I didnt feel like UTFSE , anyway I dont have any questions about it...yet

Taken from page 22-24
Refering to CuCl2/O2 system

- DMF is widely used as a solvent, but the oxidation proceeds faster in alcohols. Double bond isomerisation occurs extensively in alcohols1

- Polyethylene glycol(PEG 400) is a good solvent for the oxidation of terminal and internal alkenes 2

- Sometimes, chlorination of carbonyl compounds is observed with the use of CuCl2. The use of CuCl, after facile preoxidation to Cu 2+ with oxygen, is recommended because no chlorination takes place with CuCl3,4,5

- FeCl3, HNO3 and MnO2 can oxidize Pd(0), but stochiometric amounts are necessary. (unfortunately they dont mention anything else, no ref)

- Benzoquinone is most widely used. The oxidation can be carried out using a catalytic amount of benzoquinone by the combination of electrochemical oxidation as shown6

The drawing shows hydroquinone being reoxidized to benzoquinone at the anode.

Tetrahedron Lett. and Journal of Organic chem are classics,easy to get, I wonder if I'll find anything really interesting.

1. D.G. Lloyd and B.J. Luberoff, J. Org. Chem., 34, 3949(1969)
2. H. Alper, K.Januzkiewicz, and D.J. H. Smith, Tetrahedron Lett., 26, 2263(1985)
3. J.Tsuji, I. Shimizu, and K.Yamamoto, Tetrahedron Lett., 2975(1976)
4. J.Tsuji, I. Shimizu, and Y.Kobayashi, Isr. J. Chem, 24, 153(1984)
5. F.J. McQuilin and D.G. Parker, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1, 809(1974)
6. J. Tsuji and M.Minato, Tetrahedron Lett., 28,3683(1987)

TheBlindGenius

Yup......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 01:57:00 AM »
That's an excellent book, I posted about it somewhere.  Tsuji is actually considered one of the founders of the Wacker process (it's actually called the Wacker-Tsuji reaction by my profs).  It has much more refs other than those you mention too that may have some good info on the process.  Unfortunately I am no longer near the library that had a copy, but I am looking for another one in my area that has it.  Maybe PDF it or something?  When my student loans come in and I can afford the program for making PDF's I guess it could be done.

java

RE: A wish for a PDF program
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 05:18:00 PM »
You can go here and sign up and make five PDF files for free all you do is sign up...........hey maybe if you do it you can upload the Wacker book by Tesuji in a PDF format......java

http://createpdf.adobe.com/index.pl/1862516730.33759?BP=IE&Language=ENU

Organikum

Ghostscript
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 06:32:00 PM »
Hey Genius,

Ghostscript and Ghostview (the according viewer) are free and make .pdf files.
And more like .ps, eps, prn, ...

GOOGLE for download, it´s nagware (a window asks to register at start)
ORG