Author Topic: P2P from Aniline! (Meerwein arylation)  (Read 11005 times)

Xicori

P2P from Aniline! (Meerwein arylation)
« on: December 22, 2003, 11:04:00 AM »
High Bees!

SWIM had his first experience with P2P-synthesis out of aniline... The yield is something that has to be improved, but if we work together on this one it could develop to a very useful method!

Lego posted this procedure once before:

Post 448826 (missing)

(Lego: "P2Ps via Meerwein arylation Actually Lego was...", Methods Discourse)

Patent US5811586

Exampe 4: 1-(3-trifluoromethyl)phenyl-propan-2-one

220 ml of water and 180 g of 37% (w/w) aqueous hydrochloric acid are put in a flask equipped with stirrer and dripping funnel. 97 grams (0.602 moles) of m-trifluoromethylaniline are added after having cooled to 10°C with an ice bath and then at 5°C, an aqueous solution containing 42.2 (0.612 moles) of sodium nitrite in 50 ml of water is slowly added. The reaction mixture is stirred for 30 minutes and then is added in 30 minutes to a mixture warmed at 40°C made by 800 ml of water, 280 ml of methanol, 1.50 g (0.015 moles) of cupric chloride, 49.2 g (1.200 moles) of anhydrous sodium acetate and 75.2 (0.751 moles) of isopropenyl acetate.
The reaction temperature goes up till a maximum value of 60°C, the reaction mixture is kept under stirring for further 30 minutes at this temperature and then is cooled to 20°C. 350 ml of heptane are added and the two layers are separated. The aqeuous layer is discarded while the organic layer is washed with water and concentrated under vacuum to remove the solvent. The obtained oil is distilled under vacuum at 10 mm Hg collecting the fraction that distills at 98°-102°C. 72 grams of pure ketone are obtained with a yield to 59.1% calculated on the starting m-trifluormethylaniline.

The reaction was performed on a 50% scale (based on the amounts of the above example).

Flask 1:

To a 500 ml One-Neck-Flask 100 ml tap water, 90 g (76 mol) conc. HCl and 28 ml aniline (brown coloured) were added.
 - exothermic reaction, smoke formation
The mixture was cooled in an ice-water-bath, the smoke disappeared.
When the internal temperature has reached 4°C a cooled solution of 22.1 g NaNO2 in 40 ml tap water was added slowly via a pressured equalized addition funnel. During the addtion the mixture was stirred vigorously. The temperature was controlled carefully to hold in under 4-5°C.

Flask2:

2000 ml three-necked flask
400 ml tap water
140 ml MeOH
24.6 g anhydrous sodium acetate
41 ml isopropenyl acetate (forms two layers)
1.5 g Cu(I)-Cl (pretty old, greenish colour), 200%

Everything was mixed in the flask, and stirred. The mixture was heated to 40°C, and the aniline mixture (Flask 1) was added over 45 minutes (1-2 drops per second)
formation of red coloured reaction products. After finished addition the mixture was much clearer then during the addition of the diazonium salt solution.

After finished addition the flask was held at 60°C for further 30 min.

after cooling to RT the mixture was extracted with 3x75 ml of petroleum ether (b.p. 50-90°C), the pooled organic extracts were washed with 100 ml of water and evaporated under vacuo.

The first extract was analyzed by TLC (ethyl acetate:methanol, 4:1,

Post 476488

(Rhodium: "Pd/C & NH4OAc Reductive Amination of P2P's", Methods Discourse)) and showed two spots. One sticking on the starting line and another one close to the front which had the same Rf-value as P2P from an authentic sample (473189)

The residue was distilled under aspirator vacuum (12mm Hg) to yield a fraction between 90°C-100°C, which was yellow in colour. - The weight of the fraction was 11g which is a ~25% yield calculated on the amount of aniline used.

Flask 1 - filled with smoke

Addition of the Sodium Nitrite solution

During the addition the solution became more orangish

Flask 1 after finished addition. Flask 2 is meanwhile heated to 40°C.

Addition of the diazonium salt solution to flask 2 caused a red reaction product to appear.

After finished addition - back to room temperature

Extraction with petrol ether.

Product in the receiver (boiling @ 95°C-100°C/12mm Hg)

Closeup. The top seems to be much more orange (like a 2 phase system), but the phases were miscible without problems.

The P2P seems to bee much darker than it usually is (compared to the sample that was prepared via PAA/AAA), but the TLC seems to be clean - 1 single spot with the same Rf-Value than the authentic sample. Refractive index of the product will be checked within the next 2 weeks.

Discussion & further changes:

- Substitute the MeOH with Acetone (cheaper, better available and non-toxic)
- usage of fresh CuCl
- decreasing the amounts of solvent for bigger batches.
- What does the darker colour of the P2P mean? Maybe only minimal impurities.
- there could be better methods for reaction workup. Steam distillation, followed by extraction or just extracting the ketone as the bisulfite addukt.

Conclusion:

This method for P2P-synthesis out of cheap & non watched chemicals seems to be working, and can be done within one afternoon. The yield wasnt to good at the 1st try (25%), but i´m sure that we can modify this synthesis to improve the yield. Would be nice if any other bees would like to work together on this topic.

Have fun & bee safe!

Xicori  8)

SpicyBrown

Those TLCs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 06:57:00 PM »
Just a suggestion- You may want to play with your TLC elution mixture, specifically decreasing the polarity of it to try to get your P2P spot more around an Rf of 0.5. I say this because with the current solvent polarity pushing the spots so high up (0.8-0.9 Rf) there could be impurities you aren't seeing because they are also being pushed up to such a high Rf. I'd suggest using a mixture of ethyl acetate and hexane, it allows you to control the polarity much more effectively then ethyl acetate and methanol.

But otherwise, hey! That's pretty cool!

-SpicyBrown

dioulasso

A-ha!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
Interrresting,
I see now:

This reaction most likely can be applied to 2,5-Dimethoxyaniline too.

Which can be made by:

1. Mononitration of p-Dimethoxbenzene

Post 473658

(Lego: "Mononitration of 1,4-dimethoxybenzene", Chemistry Discourse)

2. Reduction of the nitrobenzene to the aniline w/ eg. SnCl2 (easiest)

Post 353135

(foxy2: "Aromatic nitro red. w. stannous chloride (SnCl2)", Novel Discourse)

Post 326270

(Cyrax: "Reduction of nitrobenzene", Chemistry Discourse)

or w/ any of the other methods

Yields are acceptable or moderate, but the procedures are simple, using easily available chemicals.
And the yield of the above reaction can surely be increased :) !

The writeup is really  8) , as usual, Xicori!

Lego

Xicori, you are a true pioneer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »
Great work, Xicori!  8)

Your suggestions on further experiments sound good.

Just a few ideas:

1. The diazotation has to be carried out in a polar solvent, in our case water, but the isopropenyl acetate is not soluble in water. Therefore an organic solvent (MeOH or acetone) together with water is used as solvent for isopropenyl acetate. Isopropenyl acetate will not dissolve completely in this mixture but a PTC might work wonderful here.

Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2000, 70(10), 1600-1602

(http://angelfire.lycos.com/scifi2/lego/journals/24.djvu)

The pH of the reaction solution is very important. The best yields of the products were obtained in a weakly acidic medium (pH 3-4). To maintain the pH at a required level, solutions of the diazo compounds were partially neutralized before addtion. The mineral acid remaining in the solution and the acid released during the process were neutralized by periodically adding powdered calium carbonate. Raising the aciditiy to pH 2 sharply decreases the yields of products I and II and favors by-product formation (ArCl, tars, etc.).

Although they use phenylvinyl ether this might lead to a new modification. One could add any base to the diazotized solution to raise the pH to 3-4 and use a buffer system (e.g. sodium citrate and HCl) in the solution containing the isopropenyl acetate.

3. Use an organic solvent other than petrolether, e.g. toluene (might form an azeotrope with isopropenyl acetate) or ether for the extraction of P2P from the reaction mixture to avoid co-extraction of all this brown stuff.

Can CuCl2 be used in place of CuCl?
Yes, the Russian article uses CuCl2 (cupric chloride).

Patent US5811586

claims:

Process for manufacturing 1-(3-trifluoromethyl)phenyl-propan-2-one intermediate in the synthesis of the anorexic drug fenfluramine. The process comprises reacting the diazonium salt of the 3-trifluoromethylaniline with isopropenyl acetate in a polar solvent in presence of catalytic amounts of a cuprous or cupric salt or of a mixture thereof and, optionally, of a base and purifying the raw product through bisulfite complex or distillation under vacuum.

zwackelmann

CuCl preparation
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »
Seems like getting CuCl is a problem for some guys.
It can be made by shaking a CuCl2 solution with copper powder.
Now copper powder can be made very simply by dissolving aluminium foil in an acidic solution of a copper salt, for instance CuSO4 plus HCl (the Cu(I)-salt may precipitate as an intermediate in this reaction) .

roger2003

CuCl
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 04:05:00 PM »
Copper(I) chloride is also produced hydrometallurgically by the reduction of copper(II) in the presence of chloride ions [71]

2 CuCl2 + Na2SO3 + H2O ---> 2 CuCl + Na2SO4 + 2 HCl :

Other reducing agents can be used, such as metallic copper, sulfurous acid, hydroxylamine, hydrazine, or phosphorous acid. The copper(I) chloride solution is produced, for example, by mixing a copper(II) chloride solution with metallic copper in the presence of hydrochloric acid or sodium chloride. The colorless to brown solution is stable only in the absence of air. Continuous preparations of copper(I) chloride solutions have been developed [72] , [73]. When they are diluted with water, a white crystalline material precipitates which can be vacuum dried or washed with sulfurous acid, then with alcohol and ether, and carefully dried. Zinc has also been used as a reducing agent in a more recent process [74].
Production of copper(I) chloride by treatment of ores with iron(III) chloride solutions [75] , [76] and recovery of the product through chlorination in pit furnaces above 800 °C [77] have also been attempted.

[71]  R. Keller, H. Wycoff, Inorg. Synth. 2 (1946) 1 – 4.
[72]  Schering, DE 1 080 088, 1958 (H. Niemann, K. Herrmann).
[73]  Harshaw, US 2 367 153, 1945 (C. Swinehart).
[74]  Goldschmidt, DE 3 305 545, 1983 (E. Mack, L. Witzke).
[75]  Cyprus Metallurg., DE 2 607 299, 1976 (D. Goens, P. Kruesi).
[76]  Cyprus Metallurg., US 3 972 711, 1976 (D. Goens, P. Kruesi).
[77]  Metallgesellschaft, DE 1 174 996, 1963 (K. Meyer, H. Ransch, H. Pietsch); DE 1 180 946, 1963; DE 1 160 622, 1963.

Rhodium

Meerwein arylation limitations
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
This reaction most likely can be applied to 2,5-Dimethoxyaniline too.

I must unfortunately disagree here. The Meerwein Arylation is unfortunately only really useful for electron-deficient aromatic substrates, with electron-donating groups the yield goes down. For further reference about yield trends see the article linked in

Post 392827

(Rhodium: "Aniline to Allylbenzene by Diazotization (Diazall)", Methods Discourse)

chilly_willy

problem..
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
Your writeup with pics is a great contribution.  I am guessing the big hurdle for some bees is going to be that isopropenyl acetate.  I have checked the two megasuppliers that I know whom sell to non-businesses and they do not even have that chem listed in their inventory.  I am sure it can be ordered, but unless someone has a !cheap! prep..(patents, journals maybe??) or a more common name/technical source it might be hard to pull this one off...

CW

Assholium

yet another possibility - Heck arylation
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
Prepn of phenyldiazonium tetrafluoroborates (Khimicheskie reaktivy i praparaty, Trydi IREA, issue 28, p. 199 (russian)) :

...6.9 g of o-nitroaniline (0.05 mol) was dissolved in 20 ml of ethylacetate. This solution was placed in beaker, cooled with ice bath, and then added 23 ml of 30% tetrafluoroboric acid. Keeping temperature near 3-7 C during 1 hour was added (in small portions) 3.6 g. of sodium nitrite, the end of reaction determined by presence of free nitrous acid (KJ-starh test). Then RM cooled to 2 C, precipitated diazonium salt filtered off, washed with ethylacetate and air-dried. Yield 11.4 g., 96%

Addition of phenyldiazonium teterafluoroborates to acrylates:

SYNLETT, May 1995, p. 441, First Heck Reactions of Aryldiazonium Salts using Heterogeneous Catalysts

General procedure for the synthesis of cinnamic acid esters: 30 mmol of the corresponding diazonium salt and 60 mmol of acrylic acid ester are suspended in 40 ml of the solvent. Subsequently, 0.6 mmol of palladium on activated charcoal (5% by weight) is added at 0°C. Then the reaction mixture is heated to 60°C in the course of 1 hour and stirred for 12 hours at this temperature. After cooling to room temperature, the catalyst is filtered off and washed with the solvent. The solvent is then evaporated in vacuo and the crude product is further purified by crystallisation or chromatography on SiO2.

Under catalyzed 5% Pd/C reaction of p-methoxyphenyldiazonium tetrafluoroborate with ethylacrylate in ethanol media - yield of ethyl p-methoxycinnamate is 98%.

Rhodium

what the heck?
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »
Can you use isopropenyl acetate in heck arylations?

Assholium

try it
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 09:37:00 PM »
Can you use isopropenyl acetate in heck arylations?

Heck arylation is a relatively novel, flexible and high yelding route of Pd catalyzed addition fo phenyl radical to activated double bonds, oxirans and so on. What about isopropenyl acetate - such reactions currently not described, but possibly it may works, try it.

Rhodium

???
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
But if you didn't infer the use of isopropenyl acetate here, why did you bring up the topic of heck arylations in conjunction with P2P syntheses?

Assholium

one-sentence abstract
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »
Rhodium,

But if you didn't infer the use of isopropenyl acetate here, why did you bring up the topic of heck arylations in conjunction with P2P syntheses?

try looking at this as reply to your phrase from this thread:

I must unfortunately disagree here. The Meerwein Arylation is unfortunately only really useful for electron-deficient aromatic substrates, with electron-donating groups the yield goes down.

It's very sad, that you can not understand my previous post. Well, I try to formulate one-sentence abstract: there is a simple and efficient alternative of Meerwein arylation, that works for electron-reach aromatic substrates with yields up to 98%

Hope this helps.

Rhodium

With epoxides? That sounds very useful...
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 05:05:00 AM »
Hmm... I see from your writings that you say that heck arylations has been performed with oxiranes - I have tried to make a literature search for "heck oxirane*" and "heck epoxide*" at the university, but to no avail. Would you say that one could perform a Heck arylation of an arenediazonium salt with propylene oxide (or maybe epichlorohydrin to give the ketone)? Do you have any general references for pd-catalyzed epoxide arylations?

Has 2-nitroethene or 2-nitro-2-propene been used as the alkene in any heck arylations?

Xicori

High Bees! Swim ran again a TLC on the ...
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »
High Bees!

Swim ran again a TLC on the reaction product, together with the P2P from

Post 473189

(Xicori: "P2P-Success! (Phenylacetic acid/AA/NaAc)", Stimulants)
, and the suspected oxime from

Post 480140

(Xicori: "P2P Oxime Questions", Newbee Forum)
, but the results are a bit strange and swim isnt sure anymore that he got (pure) P2P in the Meerwein arylation  ::)

1a and 3a seem to be the same substances (something very polar?!). But WTF could this be? Anilin.HCl is nearly impossible because the organic extracts were successively washed with water. - Any Ideas?

1b/2a seems to be the P2P (?), but 2b an 2c makes swim wonder - the ketone was carefully distilled with a vigreux column, so what could these impurities be?

3b i suspect to be the P2P-Oxime - and the impurities in the P2P avoiding the stuff to crystallise...

SWIM is more or less a newbee on the topic of TLC so any help would be greatly appreceated!  :)

The plates were developed with iodine vapour. Swim was to lazy to dilute the substances proper so they were applied pure (but only very tiny spots). - I know this isnt the best praxis, i´ll dilute them next time  :)

Can the size of the spot be compared with the amount of the substance present in the sample?

Many thanks, and best wishes to all the bees out there  8)

xicori

Rhodium

TLC Tips
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »
1b/2a seems to be the P2P (?), but 2b an 2c makes swim wonder - the ketone was carefully distilled with a vigreux column, so what could these impurities be?

A very well-known impurity in P2P made from PAA/AA is

Dibenzyl Ketone

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/p2p.dibenzylketone.html)
And as that substance is less polar than P2P itself (bigger molecule, but the same number of polar carbonyls), it fits very well with the fact that you have your 'mystery spot' at a higher Rf.

Can the size of the spot be compared with the amount of the substance present in the sample?

Not very exact with the naked eye, but with a little technology it goes pretty well:

Quantitative and Qualitative TLC Analysis of 5-MeO-DMT
By Clear Light and Desert Sun

We are reporting here our method for qualitative and quantitative analysis of the titled compounds using prior hive posts in addition to a unique photometric method for quantitative analysis of UV and visualized chromophores.

Full Report:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/5-meo-dmt.quant-qual.tlc.analysis.pdf%5B/green

]

Xicori

Thanks for the response, Rhodium!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 02:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the response, Rhodium!

Dibenzylketone was my first thought too, but Dibenzylketone boils at ~320°C, while P2P boils about 100°C lower..

So is it possible that so much Dibenzylketone was carried over at the distillation (a 30cm vigreux column was used) to give such a big spot on the TLC plate? Maybe there is some azeotrope formation between P2P/Dibenzylketone?

Swim will try the Meerwein reaction once more the next days, using Acetone instead of Methanole and purification via the bisulfite adduct. - hopefully this will give one single spot on the TLC plate then   ;)

What do you think about the spots 1a and 3a? What polar impurities could be present in the product? - any ideas?

so long,
xicori

Nicodem

Acetone+diazonim->no good
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »
Swim will try the Meerwein reaction once more the next days, using Acetone instead of Methanole

I would avoid using acetone as a solvent in the presence of diazonium salts as they are somewhat electrophilic and tend to substitute the acidic protons alpha to the carbonyls producing alpha-carbonyl-arylhidrazone compounds.
(This reaction can actually be performed very efficiently with betta-dicarbonyl compounds as they have a more acidic methylene group and is called the Japp-Klingemann reaction – as an example, it can be useful for the: Synthesis of 5-substituted indole derivatives, part II. Synthesis of sumatriptan through the Japp-Klingemann reaction. Heterocycles, 53 (2000), 665-673.)
Maybe you can just try with isopropanol or ethanol if you suspect methanol to be inappropriate.

Lego

Meerwein arylation works on electron-rich anilines
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

Patent US4604243

Abstract: An olefin, especially an activated olefin, is arylated by reaction with an arylamine, such as an aniline, in an inert polar organic solvent and in the presence of an alkyl nitrite, a hydrogen halide, and a catalytic amount of a copper catalyst having the copper in an oxidation state below +2.

[...]

Exemplary of the arylamines that can be used are aniline, 4-methoxyaniline, 3,4-dimethoxyaniline, 3,4,5-trimethoxyaniline, 4-(2-methyl-2-phenylpropyloxy)aniline, 4-nitroaniline, 4-acetylaniline, 4-chloroaniline, 2,4-dichloroaniline, 4-methylaniline, p-phenyldiamine, benzidine, p-aminobiphenyl, 3-aminoquinoline, 5-nitro-2-aminothiazole, aminonaphthalene, etc.

[...]

Olefins utilizable in the process are also generally descriable as those already known to be capable of being used in Meerwein-type arylation reactions. Such olefins incluce simple alkenes, such as ethylene, but are preferably activated olefins, i.e., olefins wherein the ethylenic bond is activated by being attached to an electro-withdrawing group, such as carbonyl, cyano, halo, aryl, vinyl, etc.

Here we go!

Although they use a huge excess of olefine (13-19 times more olefine than aniline!) they proved the synthetic possibility of this reaction for the synthesis of amphetamine precursors.

Antoncho

Acetone helps?
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »

Patent US2622078

states that adding acetone during diazotization helps greatly in reducing the number of byproducts etc etc.

They use ~1:1 - 2:1 water:acetone system on subst. aminosulfonic acids, but they say that much higher concentrations can bee used, although it may present difficulties since their starting materials are not very NP-soluble.

In the end of their procedures they add more acetone to crush out the product diazonium salt.

Antoncho

Antoncho

Meerwein works on electron-rich anilines?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Patent US4604243

Abstract: An olefin, especially an activated olefin, is arylated by reaction with an arylamine, such as an aniline, in an inert polar organic solvent and in the presence of an alkyl nitrite, a hydrogen halide, and a catalytic amount of a copper catalyst having the copper in an oxidation state below +2.

Alas, if you look into the examples, you'll find out that only for the electron-poor nuclei did they get decent yields :(  In case of 3,4-diMeO- the yield was in ~30% range.

If a patent says that something is a 'suitable' substrate, it usually means nothing to bee sure of.

Antoncho

Antoncho

An excellent post!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 05:49:00 AM »
A very good article, Lego! Thank you!

Don't you find it strange that there's no mention of electrophyllicity of the aryl diazonium counterpart as the important parameter?

Another thing i'd like to notice (and, more specifically, ask Xicori if he ever smelled this :) ):

As noted by the underlining above, chloroacetone,... are by-products always encountered in Meerwein arylations.

Does this side-rxn happen to a great extent?

Also, form this article can bee unquestionably inferred that acetone should bee the prefered solvent:

Since ArH is probably formed by the reaction of Ar• with a readily abstracted hydrogen atom, solvents like ethers and alcohols with the grouping H-C-O are unsuitable for Meerwein arylation. Despite the ease of hydrogen abstraction from acetone, most workers persist in using it because of availability, convenience, cost, and tradition.

Lego

Some more comments on the Meerwein arylation
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 01:37:00 AM »
@Antoncho:
Thanks for the support!
Chloroacetone is only formed under classical Meerwein conditions, i.e. with acetone/H2O as solvent, therefore it is very unlikely that chloroacetone was a byproduct in Xicori's reaction.

Don't you find it strange that there's no mention of electrophyllicity of the aryl diazonium counterpart as the important parameter?
Yes, but unfortunately the article is too old to send the author an email and ask him  ;)

@Nicodem:
You are absolutely right (concerning the side-reaction of acetone) in theory, as the author is right to state that alcohols are not suitable solvents, but in practice both solvents seem to work.

@Xicori:
Repeating this reaction is an excellent idea. But Lego would like to suggest one or two things:
For your second run change nothing than the solvent (acetone instead of methanol). In the first reaction twice the amount (compared to the patent) of CuCl was used and the pH was not adjusted. The review claims that low concentrations of copper reduce side-reactions (Sandmeyer, etc.) but if two reaction parameters are changed it is not possible to say what reaction parameter influenced the yield. The next time the reaction is performed  ;)  one could either buffer the solution or use CuCl2 and so on, as long as the Hive's community has found the ideal reaction parameters.
Your old CuCl was much better for the reaction than new one  ;) .

Chloroacetone is formed as a by-product if acetone is used as solvent but as a mixture with water. Chloroacetone is miscible with water and its boiling point is 119°C, so nobee has to bee afraid of evaporating chloroacetone but one should bee carefull nonetheless.

Phase transfer catalysis: Hm, Lego's idea was not that new, the author suggested it 30 years ago  :( . But there is one thing to mention: in this reaction there is water soluble cation (phenyldiazonium) which should react with a non-polar molecule (isopropenyl acetate). If one of the standard PTCs (any quaternary ammonium compound like a tetrabutylammonium salt or benzenetriooctyl ammonium chloride) not the phenyldiazonium cation but the counter anion (chloride) is soluble in the organic phase. Therefore an anionic phase transfer catalyst has to bee used. Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate is used as PTC for preparation of azo dyes in the reaction of phenyldiazonium tetrafluoroborates. As this PTC is well established in diazonium chemistry it might bee a good point to start from. Another interesting PTC are poly(ethylenglycol)s, especially PEG 400, which is non-ionic.

The Meerwein arylation might bee interesting not only for plain P2P but also for substituted ones. One could start from 2,5-dibromoaniline (25 g ~ 100$) to get 2,5-dibromo-P2P or 2,5-dibromo-phenylacetaldehyde, then methoxylate and reduce to get 2,5-DMA or 2C-H. Another possiblity is to use 4-chloroaniline (100 g ~ 10$) to get 4-chloro-P2P which is reacted sodium methanethiolate to get 4-methylthio-P2P which is an excellent precursor for the interesting compound MTA. You want mescaline or TMA? Meerwein arylation with 4-methoxyaniline aka p-anisidine (250 g ~ 45$), dibrominate and get 3,5-dibromo-4-methoxy-P2P, then a methoxylation and a reductive amination to get your desired compound.

Rhodium

P2P's are pH sensitive
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 03:36:00 AM »
You cannot methoxylate halo-substituted P2P's, as the basic conditions would be too harsh on the ketone function. It would have to be protected:

Post 482354

(Rhodium: "Ketone ketal protection", Newbee Forum)

Xicori

Acetone = not good
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »
High Bees!

The reaction was tried out once more, but this time acetone instead of methanole was used.

During the addition of the diazonium salt the solution turned a deep black, and also a very bad smell was noticed. The intense black colour made it nearly impossible to seperate the layers using DCM, bacause both layers had the same colour.

A lot of (acidic) gasses envolved during the reaction, so a gas trap filled with NaOH-Solution was used to protect the chemist    ::)

After workup a lot of unreacted isopropenyl acetate & a lot of black tar was recovered  :(

This seems to make methanole the one and only choice for this reaction, because with methanole the reaction ran very clear.

The distilled product from the reaction must(!) be further purified via the bisulfite adduct, because there seems to be a lot of phenole contaminating the final product (phenole´s boiling point is close to the boiling point of p2p).

best wishes,
xicori