Author Topic: Phenylacetic acid another way  (Read 8510 times)

PrimoPyro

Elementary
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2002, 01:13:00 AM »
Secondary alcohols never become aldehydes or acids. Primary alcohols go through those reactions, and secondary alcohols become ketones.

The other side product of this reaction would be 2-phenyl-1-propanol, which would oxidize to 2-phenylpropanal, which in turn can stil be changed into P2P a la Rhodium's site, with H2SO4 or HgCl2.

The phenylpropyl alcohol would oxidize to phenylpropanal, the aldehyde, or phenylpropionic acid, the carboxylic acid.

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps La Ruche!

Elementary

phenylpropyl alcohol
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2002, 01:17:00 AM »
The phenylpropyl alcohol would oxidize to phenylpropanal, the aldehyde, or phenylpropionic acid, the carboxylic acid.

So does phenylpropyl alcohol not behave like a secondary alcohol then ?

Don't cry for me I'm the cleaner

PrimoPyro

PhPrOH = Primary
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2002, 02:23:00 AM »
Phenylpropyl alcohol is a primary alcohol. Phenylpropanol is 1-phenyl-3-propanol, and is a primary alcohol.

Phenylisopropanol is 1-phenyl-2-propanol, and is a secondary alcohol.

2-phenyl-1-propanol is also a primary alcohol, and yields 2-phenylpropanal upon oxidation.

PrimoPyro

terbium

Secondary alcohol oxidation.
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2002, 08:02:00 AM »
Secondary alcohols never become aldehydes or acids.
Not true, especially when the hydrogens next to the alcohol are benzylic, the secondary alcohol can be oxidzed to an acid.

PrimoPyro

True
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2002, 11:21:00 AM »
But only when accompanied by either a rearrangement or a C-C fission, which I had omitted the possibility of for this thread's topic.

PrimoPyro

lugh

Propylene Chlorohydrin
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 12:52:00 AM »
This article from Journal of Applied Chemistry USSR (Engl. Trans.) 32, 891-4 (1959) by Etlis and Grobov may bee of interest to some bees  ;)  

:)