Author Topic: DMF Recycling  (Read 1880 times)

abolt

DMF Recycling
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:20:00 PM »
I have UTFSE and could find no information on this.

Can I hear any views from folks regarding the recycling of Dimethylformamide from a post wacker synthesis?

DMF is not the easiest solvent to get so if a viable recycling route can be found it would be very beneficial for bees who can only get small amounts. (and, of course there are environmental benefits)

Does Water and DMF have an azeotrope?

Suggestion:

If one were to treat a post Wacker, after ketone extraction, with EDTA to remove salts and then distill off Water, would the solvent be reusable?

Thanks

Rhodium

Reclaiming DMF
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 08:19:00 AM »
At the very least, you would need to distill the DMF, and then dry it thoroughly with molecular sieves or something.

abolt

Still looking
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks Chief, I have found some info on DMF azeotropes that state that it is not very simple to seperate.

This link shows techniques for other azeotropic seperations using something called a " Neilson-Kryger apparatus" which looks like a type of modified Allihn condenser.

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/test/pdfs/5031.pdf

I have read in another Hive post that DMF can become unstable if distilled at atmospheric pressure. None of the literature that I found on DMF mentions this. Is there any truth in this?