Author Topic: Mn+3 Salts For Benzaldehyde Synth  (Read 1922 times)

Bwiti

Mn+3 Salts For Benzaldehyde Synth
« on: May 14, 2002, 01:22:00 PM »
What's up folks?! Alright, enough of the small talk. U.S. Patent 808,095 uses an Mn+3 salt called mangano-ammonium sulfate in  H2SO4/H20 to convert  toluene to benzaldehyde. The Mn+3-ammonium sulfate used in the patent is produced by the electrolysis Mn+2-ammonium sulfate. I'm not interested in passing a current through a solution to produce this, so what other method can be used? I remember reading somewhere that plain-old manganese(II)sulfate can be converted to the Mn+3 salt and used to convert toluene to benzaldehyde. Assuming that this is true, here's my big question: How can I use KMnO4 to convert the Mn+2-sulfate to Mn+3-sulfate? Or better yet, could Mn+3-acetate be used instead? Btw, could U.S. 808095 be applied to benzene? Peace! 8)

Love my country, fear my government.

moo

Peracetic acid oxidation is mentioned in ...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 05:36:00 PM »
Peracetic acid oxidation is mentioned in US3992417.

Rhodium

Mn(III)acetate
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 11:22:00 PM »
There are a lot of posts on Mn(III)acetate both here and on my site, using Mn(II) and KMnO4 as starting materials.

Bwiti

Cool, thanks! I'm thinking I could let a solution ...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 02:16:00 AM »
Cool, thanks! I'm thinking I could let a solution of acetic acid, a little H2SO4, and 30% H2O2 sit for 12 hours, add the Mn+2-ammonium sulfate, then wait for the Mn+3 salt to drop out of solution.. Should I replicate what was done in the benzaldehyde patent, by adding the Mn+3 salt to dilute sulfuric before adding the toluene/benzene? Yeah, working with KMnO4/Mn(II)acetate would be easier; Any reasons why Mn(III)acetate wouldn't produce benzaldehyde? Thanks again! Peace! 8)

Love my country, fear my government.