Author Topic: CH3NO2 via Propane?  (Read 1956 times)

sanford

CH3NO2 via Propane?
« on: January 10, 2003, 04:07:00 PM »
Please excuse anything you read that may be retarded as I am quite new to this stuff. On to the question. I am in search of a good source of Ch3N02 (Nitromethane) and the only feasible method I've come across thus far is the distallation of Nitro fuel (nitro fuel is the product used in r.c. engines, found at a hobby shop, NOT real cheap either) and it didn't even appear a real good source either. I came across some literature at the good 'ol library that claims "reacting propane with Nitric Acid under pressure" is a means of producing desired chemical. However, there were no refs or procedure available. Anyone ever heard of this, or have any opinion on the feasiblity of it? Thanks in advance for the comments.

Aurelius

Not feasible
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 04:29:00 PM »
Hey Sanford, your reaction of choice is not feasible.

If you really want to synthesis your own nitromethane, aurelius suggests you follow the first link below.  The second and third show you examples of the process you wanted to use.

Post 396684

(Aurelius: "Patent References  US patent 4319059", Chemistry Discourse)

USES ALPHA BROMOACETIC ACID TO MAKE NITROMETHANE

Post 396685

(Aurelius: "Patent References US patent", Chemistry Discourse)

VAPOR PHASE NITRATION OF LOWER ALKANES AND ALCOHOLS

Post 396687

(Aurelius: "Other Patents", Chemistry Discourse)

LISTS OTHER PATENTS RELATED TO VAPOR PHASE NITRATION OF ALKANES, ALCOHOLS AND OXIDATION OF OTHER RELATED COMPOUNDS

sanford

Another stupid question...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »
Thank you Aurelius for the reply. I am a bit confused at your answer however. Remember I already said this is likely a stupid question, but...

The  chemical in question was Ch3No2, however, the thread you pointed me to was referring to Ch3Ch2No2... Nitroethane as opposed to Nitromethane. Is there a huge difference? The book I am referencing does show a few differences, however I know too little to understand if these differences would make any matter to me. Would the Ch3Ch2No2 be suitable for something, let's say, such as a reaction with MDP-2-P? OR, do I just say $%#! it and stick with the distallation of the Ch3No2-rich rc fuel? Your comments are much appreciated.

BTW - the original thread came to question from the quote in this book: Hawleys Condensed Chemical Dictionary

" The derivation of nitromethane: By reaction of methane or propane with nitric acid under pressure"

Aurelius

analogues
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 07:25:00 PM »
If you use the procedure in the first link, but instead of using alpha-bromopropionic acid you use alpha-bromoacetic acid, you will get nitromethane.

alpha-bromopropionic acid = nitroEthane
alpha-bromoacetic acid = nitroMethane

Now, regardless of which one you decide to use, you will still be able to use it in the reductive amination for the honey.  The difference lies in which product you will receive. 

If you use nitroethane, you will get an Ethyl group substituted on the nitrogen of your product.

If you use nitromethane, you will get a Methyl group substituted on the nitrogen of your product.

If you look up the compounds here, at Rhodium's, the Lycaeum, Erowid's, or elsewhere, you will find information regarding the differences between the type of honey you choose to make.