Author Topic: Nitric Acid by accident?  (Read 2101 times)

touchwill

Nitric Acid by accident?
« on: May 04, 2002, 12:54:00 AM »
Swim took 1 gram of Ammonium Nitrate and dissolved in 100ml of DH20, out of curiosity Swim added a 5 gram Bromide tablet used in the hot tub. The solution turned orange ïmmediately, almost like Iodine mixed with H20 and the curious thing is, after a few days the solution ate it's way through the bottles 1 inch Diameter aluminum lid. A thick orange liquid had seeped out and sat on the top of the aluminum cap. There was a gritty rust like deposit in the bottom of the cap .My question is what was the reaction that took place ? Would this be a way to make nitric acid ? I was hoping to use some of the ammonium nitate I have for this purpose.

Osmium

Apparently you produced Br2 which ate through the ...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 01:10:00 AM »
Apparently you produced Br2 which ate through the Al in no time (which is no wonder, I'd expect it to do that).

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

Elementary

Whats the chemical in the bromide tablet ?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 01:11:00 AM »
Whats the chemical in the bromide tablet ?

Nobodys home

touchwill

These are called Brominating Tablets ...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 01:29:00 AM »
These are called Brominating Tablets   1-Bromo-3-Chloro-5  5-Dimethyl Hydantoin 92.5%
Then breaks it down further
Available Bromine content 61%
Available Chlorine content 27%

SideArm

Brominating Tablets
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 04:32:00 AM »
These brominate. They turn your solutions orange in a matter of days, whether aqueous or nonpolar, under acidic conditions. They brominate vanillin, jar lids, things like that.

Mellow out.

pickler

safety
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 06:36:00 AM »
Just a little helpful hint. It's not a good idea to just mix chemicals if you don't have any idea what they are going to produce. Common household chems can make toxic things and kill.

We'll soon find out if I'm a chemist or not!

touchwill

Perhaps I am more fortunate than some.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
Perhaps I am more fortunate than some. I have a Grade 12 in Chemistry and understand molecular bonding, what's potentially dangerous when combined etc. Part of my question was to be sure to avoid any accidents by not being informed. The Hive gives me access to minds that are more educated, experienced and focused on chemistry and  many things I want to understand. I learn by the questions
I ask, I would never want to be intimidated to find out the real answer for fear of embarrasment. Personally my lifelong focus and skill has been in Electronics and I'm always happy to share what I know with others. Thanks for your concern and your point is well taken. I don't think anyone should just start mixing kitchen chemicals. Ka Boom

Elementary

If you say so !
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 12:44:00 AM »
Swim took 1 gram of Ammonium Nitrate and dissolved in 100ml of DH20, out of curiosity Swim added a 5 gram Bromide tablet used in the hot tub. The solution turned orange ïmmediately, almost like Iodine mixed with H20 and the curious thing is, after a few days the solution ate it's way through the bottles 1 inch Diameter aluminum lid. A thick orange liquid had seeped out and sat on the top of the aluminum cap. There was a gritty rust like deposit in the bottom of the cap .My question is what was the reaction that took place ? Would this be a way to make nitric acid ?

+

I have a Grade 12 in Chemistry and understand molecular bonding, what's potentially dangerous when combined etc.

=  :P

Nobodys home

PrimoPyro

Go To School
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 12:51:00 AM »
Aside from the topic of this thread, I'd like to take the time to encourage you to go to school. Not as scolding, no no, but because I think you have the right type of mind for a successful scientist, and when you back that with the knowledge you will learn in college, you will be very happy with your abilities.

You will greatly enjoy chemistry classes in college, trust me. All your curiosities will be explored, and more and more will surface to replace them. It's a great class to take, just for the simple fact that it stimulates exploration and curiosity.

I know you'd love it.

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps La Ruche!

touchwill

Thanks for the advice, I am thinking of some ...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 05:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I am thinking of some night classes since high school was long ago, access to good chemicals and a disciplind enviroment will have to be on a part time basis for me. I've always believed in school. I attended university business classes when I was 31. I will also look for manuals to speed up my learning curve. From one thread on the Hive I understand much chemistry is self taught, even by those who invest in instruction. Thanks for the kind words, and any college manuals you might suggest would help me.
I am expecting my first condenser and assortment of flasks monday.

Given enough Study Time There is a Bethoven in Everyone