Author Topic: Methylamine.HCl solubility  (Read 2066 times)

FriendlyFinger

Methylamine.HCl solubility
« on: March 29, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »
Hi there,

Swim can only get Approx 35-40g of Methylamine Hydrochloride to dissolve in 1L of Butanol using a boiling water bath. That that sound right to you?

If so, what a hassle if you've got a kilo to clean up!

Regards,
FF

abacus

try methanol
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 06:03:00 AM »
use methanol or ethanol, much less alcohol is needed.  Search for chromic's post re this by UTFSE

FriendlyFinger

nice link,thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 01:23:00 AM »
Chromic mentions letting the MeOH cool slowly for higher purity crystals. Is the same true for Butanol or will it really not make any differance since it doesn't dissolve much Am.Cl?

Also what about washing with Acetone. Rhodium tells me it reacts to form the Imine but Chromic says it's reversible.

Thanks.
FF.

Chromic

Imines
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 06:30:00 AM »
I don't see how, mechanistically, a protonated amine will form an imine... I mean, that amine is going to want to stay protonated...

Rhodium

acetone and amines
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »
It sure is reversible, and it will not react to an appreciable extent, but the risk is always present until someone has proved the opposite. I would personally not use acetone to wash any amines.

Rhodium

Nice to hear
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »
Does amine salts prepared in this fashion store well, i.e. no discoloration or anything like that after a few months?

raffike

How about gassing mix let's say 50/50 ...
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »
How about gassing mix let's say 50/50 acetone/toluene.This would take care of problems that may arose with minscule percent of water present in solvent and "oiling out" would be prevented.I'm pretty sure magnesium sulfate in not soluble in acetone so that ace/tol mix should be easily dryable

abacus

Rhodium
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »
I know this is a cross thread but the answer to the question is

1.  Acetone has proved an excellent solvent to gas in as I have mentioned before.

2.  No discolouration after at least 1 year

Abacus

raffike

Like i said before,methylamine.HCl may be...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 09:09:00 AM »
Like i said before,methylamine.HCl may be washed with acetone with good results(ace removes that greenish tone raw methylamine.HCl has).

Chromic

Butanol
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 01:11:00 PM »
Isopropanol and butanol suck for preparing large quantities of methylamine hydrochloride (but do work well for high purity crystals), and as other members have said, search for my posts about using methanol to recrystallize the methylamine.

And to answer Rhodium's question with respect to methylamine (and not to MDMA), the crystals are still nice and white (I'd post a pic of some crystals I prepared ages ago, but I don't know how)

I have noticed that my MDMA discolors with time. I don't know what causes it, but I doubt it's the acetone wash.

raffike

Read the faq :-)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2003, 01:13:00 PM »
Read the faq :)

FriendlyFinger

Speaking of that green/yellow tone, how come...
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 11:02:00 AM »
I had a look at Chromic's writeup, nice. I think I will try MeOH next time, . It takes about one litre to disolve about 40g MeNH2. although I would rather have purer crystals.

Regards,
FF.

Regards,
FF