Author Topic: post gassing solvent recycling  (Read 2875 times)

carcrash

post gassing solvent recycling
« on: December 07, 2002, 11:00:00 AM »
After gassing and filtering out all products, can you reuse the xylene or toulene for the same purposes? Is there a limit on how many times you should reuse the solvent?

Wondering if some hcl will stay in the solvent and will mess up future polar non polar extractions. Or does all of it that doesnt bind to the freebase oil bubble out?

Not a chemist I just follow directions on the box mix

Xicori

yeah, just recycle your solvents by distillation, ...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 11:14:00 AM »
yeah, just recycle your solvents by distillation, and save alot of money!!

You can find a lot of information how to dry/clean solvents on rhodiums page!

carboxyl

Recycling is always good.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 05:03:00 PM »
Recycling is always good. If your solvents are not dry, then the water will absorb HCl, as well as product, leaving you with an impure solvent. But it is quite reasonable and economical to recycle, just make sure they are clean before usage.

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

El_Zorro

Alright, if you want to recycle it, just wash it ...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 06:44:00 PM »
Alright, if you want to recycle it, just wash it in a sep funnel with some dilute HCl to remove any residual product, (which can then be basified and extracted, and gassed again) then wash the np with some dilute base to get rid of any acid you think might be there, (probably not necessary) then dry and distill.  Easy.

It is seductive, way too seductive.             -Eleusis

carcrash

I'm all for recyling but that seems a bit much
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 02:42:00 AM »
Wondering if a quick clean up with the muratic wash then magensium sulfate to dry it would be enough to clean it up for a few reuses.

Guessing distill or toss after 3 uses would work fine.  Should  evaporate some solvent at some point to see how much crap if any is left in it before and after the quicky clean up.

Doing a batch distill to clean a gallon of used solvent would work too.

Not a chemist I just follow directions on the box mix