Author Topic: Synthesis of amphetamines  (Read 31806 times)

Osmium

Re: Synthesis of amphetamines
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Oooops!

uemura

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »

Sorry, no melting point was reported in the paper for 345 TMNS.

This may help: 345TMNS, strong yellow plates, mp 120-121. From Slotta, Ber. 1933

Carpe Diem

Rhodium

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2001, 03:56:00 PM »
I wondered about the melting point of the phenylnitroethane, not the phenylnitroethene. But it seems like I found the data I was looking for in Chem Pharm Bull 34, 1628 (1986), the mp of the nitroethane is 82-83°C.

3,4,5-Trimethoxyphenyl-2-nitroethene

The following components were placed in a one-necked 1000ml conical flask equipped with a Dean-Stark water trap (capacity about 30ml): 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde (98.1 g, 0.5 mol), dimethylammonium chloride (81.5 g. 1 mol), nitromethane (300ml), toluene (300ml) and anhydrous potassium fluoride (4.36 g, 75 mmol). This mixture was vigorously refluxed with stirring for 5 h. The reaction flask was cooled down, then fitted to a rotary evaporator to order to remove the volatiles by gradual heating under reduced pressure. To the tepid residue (~55°C), chloroform (125 ml) and 0.2 M HCl (400 ml) were added. The mixture was heated on the water bath until complete dissolution. Then the flask was stored overnight in a refrigerator (-5°C). A crystalline solid was filtered out by suction, carefully rinsed with water and thoroughly dried in a vacuum oven. The filtrate was poured into a separatory funnel, the layers were separated and the aqueous phase was extracted with chloroform (3x100 ml). The organic extracts were combined then evaporated to give a crude oily material, which was chromatographed over silica gel (400g, eluent dichloromethane-ethyl acetate, 95:5). After removal of the solvent, the resulting solid and the previously separated product were recrystallized together from isopropanol: yield 99.2g (83%); mp 125.5-126.5°C (allotropic change at 121-121.5°C).

3,4,5-Trimethoxyphenyl-2-nitroethane

The following components were placed in a 6000ml wide-mouthed reaction flask provided with an efficient mechanical stirrer: isopropanol (750 ml), chloroform (2500ml) and the above nitrostyrene (47.8 g, 0.2mol). When the crystals had dissolved completely, silica gel 200-400 mesh ASTM (400g) was poured into the flask whilst the mixture was continuously stirred vigorously. Sodium borohydride (33.25 g, 0.88 mol) was then added portionwise over a period of 15 min. The slurry was stirred for an additional 2 h, and acetic acid (~50 ml) was carefully added. The insoluble material was separated by suction and the filtrate was evaporated in vacuo (the recovered solvents were used to rinse the silica gel thoroughly). The resulting crude material was taken up with dichloromethane (500 ml) and water (300 ml). The organic layer was separated, and the aqueous phase was extracted with dichloromethane (3x100ml). The combined extracts were dried with magnesium sulfate, filtered, then evaporated to dryness. The residue was chromatographed on a silica gel column (400g, eluent dichloromethane-ethyl acetate, 95:5) to give 3,4,5-Trimethoxyphenyl-2-nitroethane (46g), which was further purified by recrystallization (benzene-cyclohexane) to yield 44.6g (92.5%) as colorless crystals, mp 82-83°C.

Cyrax

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2001, 02:13:00 AM »
Rhodium, you just made my day.

I am extremely happy to see that my silica gel assisted reduction of nitrostyrenes in CHCl3 / i-PrOH [Tetrahedron letters (1983) vol. 24, p 227] can be scaled up with great succes.

Great work Rhodium!!! You are the best.

sunlight

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2001, 04:07:00 AM »
There's no doubt, Rhodium is the best ...

hest

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2001, 05:01:00 AM »
Thats a reasonabel yeald, not the two times 50 I'm fooling around with.
Thanks

Rhodium

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2001, 08:42:00 AM »
Oh, nice to see that you like my posts so much. I have been doing alittle cleaning in my large pile of copied references, and I have scanned and OCR'd the most interesting parts for you all. There is a good chance much of this will end up in a larger mescaline synthesis document at my page, with about at least five different routes.

sunlight

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
One more time, let me say thanks.

Xgoddess

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
Thanks a lot Rhodium and Osmium...in the words of sunlight, you two are the best. When the paper is published, I will let you know the yields and the best catalyst for the condensation reaction for phenyl-2-nitropropene...
The only problem I saw with using propylamine in place of butyl amine is its low BP..48...However, if refluxing is not necessary, then I'll recommned that the professor try that.

Cyrax

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
In a previous post i showed how you can convert an aryl-2-nitropropene to an aryl-2-oximopropane.  However, if you want the aryl-2-propanone to do something usefull like a catalytic hydrogenation with Adams' catalyst & MeNH2 in EtOH, that's no problem because you can convert the oxime in the ketone in a quantitative yield.

In JOC (1989) vol 54 p 3211, they do the reation on some imidazole-2-oximopropane:
 " To a solution of 30 g (0.12 mol) of 1-[5-methyl-1-(phenylmethyl)-1H-imidazol-4-yl]propane-2-one oxime in 300 ml of 20 % (v/v) sulfuric acid at 0°C was added a solution of 18 g (0.26 mol) of sodium nitrite in 50 ml of water, the temperature being maintained at < 5 °C.  After stirring for 0.5 h at 0 °C, the reaction mixture was made basic wint 20 % K2CO3 and extracted with two 700 ml portions of DCM.  The combined extracts were dried over MgSO4 and charcoal treated, and the solvent was removed under vacuum to give 28 g (99 %) of the ketone as an oil."

I dare say that aryl-2-nitropropenes and aryl-2-nitrostyrenes are versatile compounds  :)

Cyrax

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2001, 04:36:00 AM »
Xgoddess: for the preparation of phenyl-2-nitropropene, the best method is to reflux benzaldehyde and nitroethane in toluene with a n-butylamine catalyst.  It is important to reflux and to use a Dean-Stark water trap, because you will azeotropicially remove the water (toluene and water for a azeotrope and when you distill it out of the reaction mixture, the equilibrium of the reaction will shift towards the phenyl-2-nitropropene).

For an example, check out Organic Syntheses, CV 4, 573.
They make o-methoxyphenyl-2-nitropropene.

"A 1 L RBF is fitted with an electric heating mantle, a Dean and Stark water separator and a reflux condenser.  To the flask are added in this order 200 mL of reagent-grade toluene, 136 g (1 mole) of o-methoxybenzaldehyde, 90 g (1.1 moles) of commercial nitroethane and 20 mL of n-butylamine [It is desirable to swirl the flask after each addition to prevent the formation of layers].  The solution is heated to produce a rapid reflux until the separation of water ceases.  The pure nitroolefin can be obtained by removing the toluene on the steam bath at water-pump pressure and recrystallizing the resulting oil from ethanol.  The yield is 150 - 175 g (80 - 90 %).  The crystals melt at 51-52 °C when pure."

Cyrax

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2001, 05:40:00 AM »
If you do not have a Dean-Stark water trap or if you do not like toluene, you can follow the following user friendly procedure:

"One mole of benzaldehyde, one mole of nitroethane, 5 mL of n-butylamine and 100 mL of absolute ethanol (no water!) were refluxed for 8 hours in a 1000 mL round bottom flask.  When the contents were cooled and stirred a heavy, yellow, crystalline mass formed immediately.  After recrystallization from absolute ethanol, the 1-phenyl-2-nitropropene weighed 105 g.  Yield: 64 %. M.P.: 65 °C"

Ref.: JOC (1950) vol 15 p 8

BieneMaja

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
two days swib did a run with 1 mole benzaldehyde + 1 mole nitroethane and 12ml butylamin. mxtr was refluxed on the waterbath for about 1.5 hrs. then flushed with 75ml dh2o and removed most of the water. after 2 min crystalisation starts and the beaker was placed in the freezer for 0.5 h. the so obtained crystals were washed with ice cold denatured etOH losing most of there orange color. after drying the yield was at least 120g (yield could have been higher, some crystals falled out of the washing alc. but swib was to lazy to work them up, she just want to finish her work cause some of the p2np get on her face *argh*)
now she don't know how to reduce them. maybe again Zn/HCl or Pd/C...

kallos kai agatos

Xgoddess

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Rho, thanks for the advice on ED-di actetae. would the synth for ethylenediammonium diacete work w/ toluene solvent also, or must Et2O be used.   :(  ::)  8)  :-[

Xgoddess

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2001, 01:34:00 PM »
Cryax--thanks for the advice. the only problem is that refluxing is just an extra hassel. Rho suggested that one should use ethylenediammonium diacetate stirred with benzaldehyde and NO2Et AT ROOM TEMP!! Could it get any simpler. Also, I know that 345 Tri methoxy BA + NOCH3 forms the nitro styrene in good yield with NaOH as catalyst!! Now , the question is "will this catalyst work for 245 TMA and 246 TMA?? Now that would be simple!! Finally, the Zn/HCL reduction is documented in March's "Advanced Organic Chemistry"--1994 for reducing all NO2 and most alkene groups.  Someone please let me know if the Pd/C reduction is a simple.  -XX :-[

Cyrax

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
Yes, the NaOH catalyst will also work for the TMA analogs.

The basic catalyst (this can also be n-BuNH2) abstracts a proton from nitromethane and the resulting anion attacks the carbonyl group of benzaldehyde.  Then, there is an elimination of H20.  This gives the nitrostyrene.

So, it doesn't matter which kind of base you use.

Rhodium

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
The choice of base is very important to get the best yield possible. Raising a bad yield fourfold is possible by choosing the right base and solvent.

Cyrax

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2001, 03:30:00 AM »
If you don't believe me that nitroalkenes are versatile compounds, you have to read the article in Tetrahedron Letters (1990) p 7443.  There, I found a kick-ass reaction.

Reduction of unsaturated nitroalkenes with BH3-THF and NaBH4 (catalytic amounts)

Phenyl-2-nitrostyrene -->  Phenylethylamine  (88%)
Phenyl-2-nitropropene  -->  Amphetamine (91%)
3,4-diethoxyphenyl-2-nitropropene  -->  3,4-diethoxyphenyl-2-aminopropane (87%)

Method
------

"The synthesis of phenylethylamine is representative.  A flame-dried, nitrogen-flushed, 100 mL flask, equipped with a septum inlet, magnetic stirring bar and reflux condenser was cooled to 0 °C.  A BH3-THF solution (16 mmol, 9.5 ml, 1.7 M) was injected into the reaction flask via a syringe, followed by the slow addition of nitrostyrene in THF (4 mmol, 0.6 g in 6 mL THF).  After the addition, the ice-bath was removed and a catalytic amount (~ 40 mg) of NaBH4 was added to the stirred reaction mixture by means of a spatula.  A moderately exothermic reaction ensued.  The reaction was then allowed to proceed for 6 days at 25 °C.  The reaction mixture was poured on to ice-water mixture (50 mL), acidified with 10 % HCl (~ 20 mL) and then stirred at 60-65 °C for 2 h.  After cooling to room temperature, the acid layer was washed with ether (2 x 50 mL), and then the phenylethylamine was liberated via the addition of aqueous sodium hydroxide.  Solid NaCl was added and the product extracted into ether (3 x 50 mL).  The combined ethereal extracts were dried over anhydrous MgSO4, and the solvent reduced under reduced pressure to yield 0.43 g (88 %) of phenylethylamine."

Rhodium

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2001, 03:43:00 AM »
That is by Varma & Kabalka, right? Those two chemists has done nearly as much improvements to nitroalkene chemistry during the last two decades as the combined efforts by the Hive Collective the last few years. The only problem is that they have not optimized their procedures for clandestine chemistry ease, but rather improved old methods, and extended the range of reagents that can be used to effect various functional group transformations.

sunlight

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2001, 04:25:00 AM »
It is in TSII. Someone told in the Hive that BH3-THF could be done with H2SO4 and NaBH4 in THF. Well, I made a single trial and got nothing. Probably I didn't make a good BH3 solution, so I would like to know a method to make it.