Author Topic: Oldie, but Goodie  (Read 2614 times)

uemura

Oldie, but Goodie
« on: March 20, 2002, 10:11:00 AM »
Each time Uemura had a stop in the library, he finds something he wasn't heading for. This post reports one of his last findings:

the most easy synthesis of Hydroxylamine .

In Journal f. prak. Chemie, Vol 21, 1880 on page 129 a paper from Dr. Gustav Prätorius-Seidler with the subject 'Zur Kenntnis des Cyanamids' can be found. The structure of cyanamide was a hot discussion topic at this time and its behaviour against different chemicals has been studied. One of these chemicals was the Hydroxylamine-chloride.

The good Prätorius made an extensive note of his preparation of the said Hydroxylamine-chloride. Uemura hasn't a clue on the reaction mechanism, but he wants the procedure to be disclosed for further discussion. Now, what was said by Dr. Prätorius:

I got 25-28grms nitromethane [1] which now was heated to 100DegC in a sealed glas tube together with twice the volume of muratic acid. After cooling the tube - in which only infrequently high pressure was present - the hydrogenchloride salt of the hydroxylamine seperated in beautiful, sometimes extreme long, cristalls from which the remaining hydrogen chloride was removed by heating them on a waterbath. This preparation, which yielded 18-20grms of Hydroxylamine-chloride, has, compared with the preparation from Lossen, the big advantage of beeing quick and giving a chemical pure product.

[1] Made by Kolbe synthesis, this part was dropped by Uemura.

What happens in this reaction? It could bee something like this - which isn't stochimetrically ok.

CH3NO2 + HCl + H2O ---> CH3OH?? + HONH3*Cl ????

Any idea?
Carpe Diem

Vibrating_Lights

great find
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 10:31:00 AM »
Great find
VL_

lugh

Oldie, but Goodie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 11:09:00 AM »

Post 216070

(foxy2: "Make Formic Acid and Hydroxylamine in one step!!", Chemistry Discourse)
 :)

Chromic

Re: Oldie, but Goodie
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »
So that would imply... HCl + CH3NO2 + H2O -> HONH2.HCl + HCOOH

Which seems to balance OK... interesting. And to separate one adds acetone, base (sodium carbonate, likely, as sodium hydroxide could depronate any unreacted nitromethane forming those explosive salts?)... forms the oxime, extracts with an chlorinated solvent, then extracts that with hydrochloric acid to get the hydrochloride salt.

I think I'll stick with buying it from a photography supplier! Awesome find though, HCl is more OTC than oxallic acid!

foxy2

oxylic acid
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 12:15:00 AM »
Chromic
4lb tubs of oxylic acid are avail at the local hardware store.

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

halfapint

Verification of CH3NO2 + HCl --> hydroxylamine
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2002, 04:05:00 AM »
I mentioned that I produced hydroxylamine HCl by refluxing nitromethane with household HCl, without use of a glass bomb. I'm sure Dr. Praetorius would approve.

Post 263772 (missing)

(halfapint: "Re: Nitrostyrene or Nitropropene electrochem reduction", Chemistry Discourse)

a half a pints a half a pound a half a world a half a round
Sidearm n. Flask neck tube.