Author Topic: Fancy Glassware, Pros/Cons?  (Read 1464 times)

NeoSynthesis

Fancy Glassware, Pros/Cons?
« on: September 18, 2003, 10:45:00 AM »
Just curious about the following issues:

1. Some synths suggest using a 2-neck RBF. I asked sometime ago & was told that a 1-neck RBF w/Claisen adapter would do the trick just fine. Wondering if there are any pros/cons to either method?

2. Reflux condensors - Some come with water inlet & drain nipples (BOTH) on one side of the condenser unit. Some have have them pointing in opposit directions, on either side of the condenser. Pros/Cons to each design?

3. I've read synths that suggest using a 4L separatory funnel. Curious if that means that buying smaller separatory funnels in ADDITION to the large one has a use? (this may sound like a dumb question, but not if your lab supplier sent you the wrong funnel & wants you to pay the shipping back to get the one you ordered!)

4. Can raw ketone be stored in a corked, erlenmeyer flask? (in the fridge of course)

thanks beez!

Peace out -  8)

hypo

common sense...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 01:42:00 PM »
...will answer practically all of those questions.
for the rest there's TFSE.

smutboy420

extra glassware never hurts.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 03:45:00 PM »
#1 Claisen adapter pros/cons. the pros are if you aready have a Claisen adapter you don't have to go get a multi neck flask. and a Claisen adapter has other uses that it can come in handy for when its needed. the cons its more conections if doing vac distlations or what ever to have vac leaks from.
#2 Reflux condensor nipples. if used as a reflux condenser it don't matter what side the nipples are on. if using as a reg distillation  condenser. if the nipples are on the same side you can get some air traped. just run it with the nipples facing up if on the same side. if on opisit sides run you water in from the nipple facing down and let the out let bee the one facing up so the air dont get trapped. but not really a prob at all.
#3 having a small sep funnle in addishion to the large one is nice. because you don't have to use your 4 litter for small things. less loss less pain in the ass. if you can aford to have the extra one get it.
it nerver hurts to have lots of glassware. inless of cource you get busted then its more evidence.
i have acumilated a shit load of glassware. its nice to decide if i want to do 40 runs in a 500ml flask or do one run in my 22 litter flask to distill something. but i got so much shit if my lab was ever discovered it would look like i was some kind of west cost super lab or something.

DjTime

Just an opinion...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 06:25:00 PM »
#1 SWIM likes using the 2-Neck flask for both parts of the
MDMA synth. The claisen can give you versitility, but in
all reality it's just an extra peice you can live without. IMHO it's much better to stick with the 2-Neck.

#2 Hypo explained that to the fullest. There really isn't a
big difference, just technical stuff.

#3 SWIM has two 2L Sep funnels. Im SOOOO glad I have 2
because at first SWIM was just thinking he could save a little dough by just getting one 1L and cutting his stuff in two. In the end SWIM wishes that his favorite lab had one 4L (for the post benzo wacker) and the two 2L's for the washes, and extractions. Plus if you are trying to hurry you can use one 2L and let your stuff sep out, while cleaning the other for the next wash, (purity junkie.)

#4 SWIM is supersticious and thinks that it should be SEALED
fully in an HPDE bottle and put behind that otter pops to stay out of the light. Aghhh DA Pwerecious !!!!

-Peace

ScuzZ

Pro/Con
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 09:47:00 AM »
Pro: Love watching reaction go on through fancy equipment.

Con: Normally more difficult to clean.

KidCurry

I'm saving up for my first glassware, and been
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm saving up for my first glassware, and been looking at some alternatives. Those kits avaible at for example Sigma Aldrich look promising, but are extremely expensive? Why? Is it the fancy packaging? Seems like I could pick the stuff myself for half the price. A standard 19/22 kit is 700 euros! How come?

Edit: Found another retailer that sold the same kit for about 400USD, strange. Is Sigma unusually expensive concering glassware?

Rhodium

The bigger the more expensive
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »
Is Sigma unusually expensive concering glassware?

No kidding! They always sell stuff for more than twice its nominal value, because they know that their customers are overfunded organizations which do not look twice at the price tag, but rather put value on the ease of being able to buy anything they want from a single catalog, everything from chemicals to lab equipment to custom synthesis.