Author Topic: Ammonia Sulphate!!?  (Read 3683 times)

kdog_x

Ammonia Sulphate!!?
« on: January 16, 2002, 04:23:00 AM »
I'm having trouble finding any Ammonia Sulphate fertilizer. I tried all the local stores but haven't seen anything. I realize that its the winter, but some place should still carry the sh&!. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

terbium

Re: Ammonia Sulphate!!?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2002, 04:31:00 AM »
In Southern California any of the larger hardware/home supply stores carry it in the garden section. A 20 lb bag is a couple of dollars.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 04:31:00 AM »
Gardening area of hardware stores. Nurseries. Wal-fart even.

I'm telling everyone for the last time: In the good ol' US of A (forgive me, but I am assuming you are a US native. If I am incorrect, feel free to flame) In the USA, mono-ingredient fertilizers are no longer sold in brand name stores like walfart et al. They are always mixes of all kinds of stuff.

Finding ammonium sulfate is easy. Just look for pure ammonium nitrate, and the sulfate appears everywhere. Worked for me when I wanted nitrate for you know what once upon a time and it was nowhere to be found, only sulfate sulfate sulfate.  :P

Nowadays, phosphates are pretty popular, too.

Why do you need the sulfate?

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

terbium

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2002, 04:37:00 AM »
Why do you need the sulfate?
It is a cheap source of ammonia for use in the production of anhydrous ammonia or methylamine.

In the USA, mono-ingredient fertilizers are no longer sold in brand name stores like walfart et al.
I wouldn't know about Walmart, I avoid shopping there. The garden stores that I do go to carry bags of pure ammonium sulfate.

kdog_x

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2002, 04:46:00 AM »
I've tried Walfart, Mynards, H***Dep** and every other store I can possibly concieve of. Unforunately many of the larger nursery's etc. are closed until the spring. Unfortunately SWIM Doesn't want to wait that long. Guess I'll let my fingers do the walking and use the yellow pages.

One more question though, For making chloroform from pool shock + acetone. Anyone know what type of shock to use. I know that I should use Liquid, but will any liquid shock work?

-PS agent_smith... youre a god

Vibrating_Lights

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2002, 04:46:00 AM »
This time of year they will look at you funny for Am Nitrate purchases. find an agricultural/farm Feed store drive up in a truck and boots with mud on your pants.
pretty much any am fertalizer will work with NAOH to produce the gas you desire.
 VL_

kdog_x

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2002, 04:49:00 AM »
I've found Ferts with Am Nitrate in it, but its mixed with a bunch of other crap and in low conc. I want to make this as quick and easy as possible.

terbium

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2002, 05:02:00 AM »
H***Dep**
Yep, I have seen bags of pure ammonium sulfate in these stores in SoCal as recently as last summer. Around here I would expect it to be available year round but sounds like you live in some part of the country that has nasty things like snow.

kdog_x

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2002, 05:12:00 AM »
How much worse is this going to be if I use Am Nitrate and maybe... a bigger container? Anyone try it?

People who throw dirt. Lose Ground

PrimoPyro

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2002, 05:18:00 AM »
It will be fine. NH4NO3 + NaOH --> NH3 + H2O + NaNO3

All of these are stable. A waste of good NH4NO3, though....

Terbium, I wont shop at walfart though either, but I know they carry such things. They seem to be the heavyweight favorite as well.

And what was said above is true, any ammonium salt will work upon basification to yield ammonia gas.

PrimoPyro

Elementary

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2002, 05:22:00 AM »
"Worked for me when I wanted nitrate for you know what once upon a time"

Never knew you were into nitrous oxide ! ;)

One day I'll understand everything !

PrimoPyro

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2002, 05:25:00 AM »
I hope to god you are kidding lol.  ;)

terbium

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2002, 06:42:00 AM »
Thermal decomposition of ammonium nitrate is the commercial procedure for production of nitrous oxide.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2002, 01:54:00 PM »
Im aware of that, I meant that I hoped he was kidding about me using it.

In fact terbium, I had a small debate with Osmium about thermal decomposition of NH4NO3 to N2O in a thread awhile back.

PrimoPyro

halfapint

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2002, 11:46:00 AM »
Since we are talking about ammonium nitrate rather than the title compound, it does more than just give off N2O. It's a good oxidizer too, like in US 3965185 in which it is used to reoxidize nickel chloride (you know, palladium chloride, ferric chloride, osmium bromide works fine too) in a Wacker process of oxidizing an olefin to a ketone. Much easier to handle than benzoquinone, right? Also cheaper? The ammonium nitrate gives off nitrogen and goes away during the course of the reaction. Gives the same effect as if it had turned into nascent oxygen in the pot.

turning science fact into <<science fiction>>

kdog_x

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2002, 11:33:00 PM »
I found some 4lb boxes derived from Ammon. Sulfate and Amm. Nitrate. $3 each. It says they're 12 percent available nitrate. Will I need to buy 2 tons. Or will this bee enough?

Osmium

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
> It says they're 12 percent available nitrate. Will I need
> to buy 2 tons. Or will this bee enough?

For what? It helps a lot if people would say what their intended target is.

You have 4 pounds of a mixture containing 12% ammonium nitrate and presumably 88% ammonium sulfate. So there.

goiterjoe

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2002, 06:52:00 AM »
2 tons in the back of a moving truck should be sufficient for bringing down a large federal building.  Hope you don't plan on using the same credit card/checking account to buy the racing fuel though. ;)

If Pacman had influenced us, we'd run around dark rooms eating pills and listen to repetitive music

kdog_x

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2002, 10:17:00 AM »
Let me rephrase that. I would like to know how this percentage compares to sulphate of ammonia fertilizer *SWIM has never seen that. Is that stuff 100%? Also, Am. Sulfate and Nitrate were just the first two items on the ingredient list. There were seveal others. I'm assuming they were listed from greatest to least.

PS I'll leave the federal buildings to the terrorists

halfapint

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2002, 03:08:00 PM »
It's 12% total "available nitrogen". This includes the ammonia from both the sulfate and nitrate, and the nitrogen which forms the nitrate (and also any other nitrates there may bee). About any ammonia-containing fertilizer will serve to generate ammonia, with alkali. Ammonium sulfate would produce more nitrogen for its bulk, more cleanly than a mixed fertilizer.

turning science fact into <<science fiction>>