Author Topic: 2C-E from 2,5 dimethoxybenzaldehyde?  (Read 2199 times)

scarmani

2C-E from 2,5 dimethoxybenzaldehyde?
« on: March 12, 2003, 01:36:00 AM »
Doing some preliminary research on the synthesis of 2C-E; UTFSE yielded Shulgin's synth,

Post 41646 (missing)

(psyloxy: "Re: 2,5-Dimethoxybenzaldehyde Hey, OS, Bekr, Mistr", Chemistry Discourse)

Post 60192 (missing)

(yellium: "Another route to 2C-[BDE]", Chemistry Discourse)

Post 263890

(poix: "alkylation of quinones", Novel Discourse)

Post 404204 (missing)

(psygn: "2C-H ---> 2C-E", Chemistry Discourse)

So if I understand Shulgin's synth, he starts with p-dimethoxy benzene, puts a methyl ketone in what becomes the 4 position, and then turns that into an ethyl (in a reaction that sounds messy and has a poor yield).

Then he puts an aldehyde in the 1 position, converts the molecule into the beta nitrostyrene with nitromethane and ammonium acetate, and reduces that with LAH to get 2C-E.

It strikes me that Shulgin first puts the ethyl group in, and only then makes the aldehyde.  Can one start with 2,5 dimethoxybenzaldehyde and then put an ethyl group in the 4 position (without protecting the aldehyde group)?

From a couple of the abovementioned posts, it seems like BuLi is a reagent that allows selective alkylation with alkyl halides.  Could it be of use ethylating the dimethoxybenzaldehyde at only the 4 position?

If not, how could it be used with 2C-H to get 2C-E.  Would one have to go through 2C-B first?

Sorry if my questions are naive; I am just starting to learn organic chemistry, all comments welcome.

Rhodium

You cannot use BuLi with an unprotected ...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 01:50:00 PM »
You cannot use BuLi with an unprotected benzaldehyde, as it would polymerize (the aldehyde group acting as electrophile, just as alkyl halides do, but making an alcohol instead of a hydrocarbon).

You could start with 2C-H, protect the nitrogen, lithiate in the 4-position with BuLi, add EtI, quench and deprotect the nitrogen, but that roundabout way would probably be much more wasteful than ethylating earlier in the synthesis.

You can reduce 2,5-dimethoxyacetophenone to 2,5-dimethoxyethylbenzene with Zn/Hg and HCl in 50% yield too, see JOC 25, 1245 (1960). 2,5-dimethoxyacetophenone is made from 2,5-dihydroxyacetophenone, see

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/25-dimethoxyacetophenone.html