Author Topic: Carius tube  (Read 2505 times)

pHarmacist

Carius tube
« on: February 13, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »
I was reading a intertesting synth. that used a piece of equipment called "Carius tube" as a reaction vessel for 2 reagents that are allowed to react at 20-30 celsius. Does anyone know what this look like and what is it used for specificly? I googled some but with no result. Please help. Thank you.

Rhodium

Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 04:51:00 PM »
Carius tube (bomb tube). A hard, glass thick-walled tube, sealed at one end, that is approximately 40 cm long. 

lugh

Substitute
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 06:40:00 PM »
Carius tubes are only useful to chemists that also are glassblowers, but fortunately there's a substitute available  :)

Pressure Vessel, Griffin-Worden

Sealed-Tube Reactions: As a substitute for the Carius-type tube with the advantages that sealing with a torch is not required. Pressure release is conveniently and safely achieved prior to opening by means of a valve.

pHarmacist

Hey, thanks a lot, good news!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »
-

terbium

Sugar chemistry.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 06:54:00 PM »
I believe that Carius tubes were used in the olden days before instrumental analysis as part of the procedure for determining the structure of a sugar wherein the sugar is reduced to a hydrocarbon by the action of aqueous HI at elevated temperature and pressure. I once found some (just very heavy wall pyrex tubing) in a stockroom where they had been laying untouched for perhaps decades.

lugh

Working with Sealed Tubes
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »
These four pages from Cohen's Practical Organic Chemistry; on using a sealed tube for an analytical procedure should bee quite helpful to any bee wishing to know how to work with such tubes for other procedures  ;)

8)