Author Topic: psilocin to dmt  (Read 4913 times)

madscientist

psilocin to dmt
« on: January 26, 2002, 05:03:00 AM »
does anyone out there in chem land know how to knock that pesky oH group of psilocin to turn it into dmt. i was thinking of electrolytic reduction with maybe a drop of formalin in the catholyte solution. comments please.

hest

Re: psilocin to dmt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 05:11:00 AM »
1. it is not posible
2. WHY DMT is much easyer to make than Psilocybin.

halfapint

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 05:50:00 AM »
Truly mad. Like Hest said. There was a cartoon character once named Wrong-Way Corrigan. He was a Mountie. Psilocin is much more valuable than DMT in any way I can think of. Smoke some and meditate on your life choices.

turning science fact into <<science fiction>>

PolytheneSam

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 06:47:00 AM »
Would zinc dust distillation remove the OH rings?  What if you had 5-hydroxy-DMT and wanted DMT?

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

halfapint

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 08:42:00 AM »
"What if you had 5-hydroxy-DMT and wanted DMT?" Tough. If wishes were horses, riders could beg. I'd always want DMT, if I had any 5-OH-DMT or not. (4-OH-DMT is so much better.) With Zn dust distillation, you'd bee lucky to even get indole back.

(BTW I know very little, but I guess a lot. Helps keep conversation going.)

PolytheneSam

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2002, 08:53:00 AM »
>With Zn dust distillation, you'd bee lucky to even get indole back.

Do you have a reference to support that?  DMT and other tryptamines can be smoked.

>BTW I know very little, but I guess a lot. Helps keep conversation going.

Its obvious, only problem is it keeps people failing over and over again in the lab and wastes a million times more time and effort.

halfapint

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2002, 09:18:00 AM »
Just that indole's the major decomposition product of "indolic" compounds. It's part of the glue that holds turds together. Alkaline pyrolysis of tryptophan-containing compounds gives indole. Hot zinc dust is an extreme reduction environment. Indole compounds substituted at the preferred 3-position, have these substituents much more labile than corresponding chains on a benzene ring. So in this case my guess is, that before taking off a hydroxyl group at the 4-, 5-, or 6-position, zinc dust distillation would give you back the corresponding indole, still perhaps with a 4-, 5-, or 6-hydroxyl, but without your labor-intensive dimethylaminoethyl moiety on 3-. 

a half a pints a half a pound a half a world a half a round

PolytheneSam

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2002, 09:35:00 AM »
Zinc dust isn't as alkaline as NaOH and KOH.  Yeah, I know you can make indole by fusion of albumin with potash.

halfapint

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2002, 10:18:00 AM »
OK, it's an overstatement to say "It is not possible." Hest knows that too. megamole in

Post 224070 (missing)

(megamole: "Re: route from acetaminophen (paracetamol)", Chemistry Discourse)
says to tosylate the phenol, then reduce it away. Still, that's kind of drastic conditions. It's hard for me, at least, to trust indole compounds to stay robust in such harsh circumstances. You have to worry about attack at the 1-nitrogen, with complete delamination  :(  of your heterocycle, as well as what happens at the known sensitive 3-position. So while "impossible" may bee oversimplified, we can say for sure it's real impractical.

dely72

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2002, 10:50:00 AM »
I just don't understand why you would want to do that.  First off, from what I have read, synthisizing DMT is much easier than synthing the 4hoDMT starting material, so why not just synth the DMT to begin with.  Or lets say that you are not synthing the 4hoDMT, you are extracting it from mushrooms- well it would still be easier to extract the DMT right from the beginning from mimosa or any of the other plants, then to extract the 4ho out of shrooms. Not to mention that after extracting it out of shrooms and separating all of the alkaloids so you are left with just 4ho, you would have the added step of turning it into DMT, so why bother?   Extracting psilocin/psilocybin is much harder than  extracting DMT, as you cannot just do a standard acid/base extraction.

Even if not practical, I think that it would make more sense to be asking how to make 4hoDMT out of DMT. This would be interesting although I still think it would be more feasable just to extract the shit at that point.

PolytheneSam

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2002, 10:56:00 AM »
Listening to Huey Louis's song 'I Want a New Drug' may provide some insights.  Maybe this guy has a lot of psilocybin available and never tried DMT.

I'm interested in the removal of the 5-OH group.  5-hydroxytryptophan is OTC in the US, right?

PrimoPyro

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2002, 11:17:00 AM »
Hell yes it is.

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

hest

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2002, 03:06:00 PM »
So is trypthophan

PolytheneSam

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2002, 03:10:00 PM »
I thought they took tryptophan off the market 2. permanently in the USA (OTC in capsules) because of the contaminated tryptophan on the market.  Someone told me it was Solgar that made it.

PolytheneSam

foxy2

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2002, 12:46:00 PM »
Yes the tryptophan anal suppositories were taken off the market but you can still get tryptophan anal suppositories for your cat.

http://www.aclu.org/congress/issues107.html