Author Topic: 1kg of succinic acid, but how to succinaldehyde?  (Read 2610 times)

tropine

1kg of succinic acid, but how to succinaldehyde?
« on: December 12, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »
so much succinic acid, even the anhydride, but is there anyway to go to the oxime or directly to the aldehyde from these?  Can't find anything in the search engine except for what seem to be round about ways, can't one start with succinic acid?

Rhodium

succindialdehyde
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »
I know of only two reasonable routes to succindialdehyde, and that is from pyrrole (treatment with hydroxylamine + hydrolysis of dioxime) and from 2,5-dialkoxy-tetrahydrofuran (acid hydrolysis of acetal).

roger2003

Succindialdehyde
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »

politoxicomania

Succinacid
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 11:00:00 PM »
It is long ago that i thought about generating succinaldehyd from succinacid (butandiacid or bernsteinsäure)
The idea was to make the anydrid and from ther to the 2,5-dialkoxy-tetrahydrofuran one step away.
One day ill figure this out .

tropine

very desirable idea however
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 11:06:00 PM »
Oh the irony, kg's of succinic acid, and hundreds of grams of the anhydride, but there is no literature to get the aldehyde from either of these. There are a variety of very elementary chemical procedures that yeild aldehydes.  Make the acid chlordie form succinic acid, the treat with LiAlH(O-tBu)3 is one.  There is a whole host of simple transformations that could be used on this highly functional carboxylic acid, I wonder why none have been cited?

politoxicomania

Quite unusual
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 07:23:00 PM »
its industrial unusual to go from acids to aldehyds......