Author Topic: Amphetamine formulas?  (Read 2142 times)

interested

Amphetamine formulas?
« on: June 02, 2004, 08:22:00 PM »
Does anybee know the exact formulas to the following reactions?

Benzaldehyde + Nitroethane + Cyclohexylamine -> Phenyl-2-nitropropene

Raney Nickel + Phenyl-2-nitropropene -> Amphetamine

Nickel + Aluminium -> Raney Nickel

There is plenty of information on how to perform these reactions, but it would be useful to know what exactly is meant to go in and come out of these reactions.  Also, this information would enable the use of stoichiometric quantities.

Regards. :)

Aurelius

Nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 10:56:00 PM »
go learn organic nomenclature first.  then worry about the rest.  I would suggest taking at least the first semester of organic chemistry.  At least that will teach you the basics. (Which are necessary)

Novice

Nothing wrong with the nomenclature.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 11:47:00 PM »
Aurelius, there is nothing wrong with the organic nomenclature in the above post, except that he named amphetamine amphetamine instead of 1-phenylisopropylamine, and "amphetamine" isn't even an attempt to organic nomenclature. So stop being an ass about it and help him out instead.

Chimitant

It doesn´t make sense
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:23:00 AM »
How can someone be good in nomenclature, without knowing anything about those reactions ? That doesn´t make sense to me! Either you must be lazy, or a newbee with no feeling for chemistry at all (yet).

Barium

Aurelius is not being an ass at all.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 02:23:00 AM »
Aurelius is not being an ass at all. Don't push it buster or we can show you what an ass really is. There has to be some friggin limit to how clueless you can be here. Interesteds question showed clearly that he have no clue at all about what is going on in the reactions. If he just reads a basic organic chemistry book he will be able to grasp what kind of reactions are happening when a aliphatic nitro group is being reduced to a amine. He would just be as clueless if I gave the answer here, because he has not enough basic knowledge to digest it.

Rhodium

Reductions in Amphetamine Labs
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 04:11:00 AM »
You may want to read the following article and its 93 references (most of them hyperlinked from within the document):

Synthetic Reductions in Clandestine Amphetamine and Methamphetamine Laboratories - A Review

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/amphetamine.reduction.html)

interested

Sorry for wasting your time guys.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 09:27:00 AM »
Sorry for wasting your time guys.  Swim doesn't really have time to take first semester organic chemistry, but he is reading chemistry books and learning the very basics on nomenclature, stoichiometry, balancing equations etc.  What he yet doesn't understand is the mechanisms behind particular reactions.  He is only just beginning to understand how salts form (anions, cations etc.). 

Just thought that the actual formulas would help other bees as well as himself.

Thanks anyway guys, at least I have learnt that what I have asked should be basic knowledge.  Swim will strive to catch up.

Cheers :)

GC_MS

Virtues
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
You may want to read the following article and its 93 references (most of them hyperlinked from within the document)

Subtility... a good and often undervalued quality  ;) .

interested

In attempting to answer my own questions I...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
In attempting to answer my own questions I have come up with:

Condensation of Benzaldehyde and Nitroethane.
C7H6O + C2H5NO2 -> C9H9NO2 + H2O

Reduction of Phenyl-2-nitropropene.
C9H9NO2 + 2H2 -> C9H13N + O2

That was pretty easy to work out.  I guess the real questions are:

What makes the No. 2 carbon in nitroethane substitute the oxygen in the benzaldehyde?
Under what conditions is this achieved?
How is the double bond between the two carbons reduced to a single bond? Why does this occur?
What makes the nitro group reduce to an amine group?  Why does this happen?

Swim has read the literature regarding the use of various catalysts which provide some of the conditions that these reactions require, but the literature just states that the catalysts are used and doesn't explain why.  These questions are rhetorical, but any feedback is certainly welcome.

There has to be some friggin limit to how clueless you can be here. Interesteds question showed clearly that he have no clue at all about what is going on in the reactions.

I agree.  There should be a digest for basic organic chemistry so as not to promote cluelessness.  Again apologies for wasting your time. ::)

Nicodem

Organic chemistry digests
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »
There should be a digest for basic organic chemistry so as not to promote cluelessness.

You can find many digests for org. chem. in your library. Interestingly they are all +500 pages books and for some wierd reason they all bear the same very original title: "Organic chemistry".

Aurelius

Interested
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 05:49:00 AM »

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/nitrostyrene.references.html

follow this link, do a few literature and internet searches for "henry condensation"  and "hydride reductions"

You should get answers for everything you want.  Learn about "electron pushing mechanisms". 

these things will all help you. 

As far as a basic chemistry digest goes...

There's simply too much to do.  I've put together QUITE a large amount of information concerning acid/base chemistry here:

Post 398337

(Aurelius: "Compilation of Acid Reagents", Chemistry Discourse)

if you want information that will help you at this site, read everything in every link there. (the general information section)

If you need more help, I'm willing to give it to you.  However, I've tried many times to help people from the ground up and it usually doesn't work too well.  Most people interested in this stuff will make an initial effort on their own or at least ask questions to find out what it is that they should be searching for.  If you need help with where to find information or what information to look for, let me know.

BTW, Barium, I appreciate you covering for me, but I can handle myself- and people, though rough in the beginning, learn who the asses really are with time. :P

interested

I am at a loss. For the condensation of ...
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »
I am at a loss.

For the condensation of benzaldehyde and nitroethane there has to be a nucleophile and an electrophile.  Now if benzaldehyde was to become a nucleophile the oxygen has to leave the molecule as a positive ion and leave two electron pairs behind. Correct?  Is this a stand alone reaction or does the nitroethane have a vital role in stripping the oxygen ion?

Swim has been doing a lot of reading and is just trying to work through the reaction step by step.  If continuing this thread pisses bees off just tell me and I will stop.

armageddon

catalyst
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 02:46:00 AM »
What is needed is a catalyst, specifically a base - try to search Rhod's site for "phenyl-2-nitropropene" for examples.

What might also help you is reading - for example

Post 427690

(imperfectmachine: "A question about benzaldehyde/nitropropene", Newbee Forum)
, SpicyBrown answers your question quite well there...

BTW Did you know there is a powerful "search" function here at the hive, called TFSE (the fucking search engine) - and UTFSE means "use TFSE"....

Greetz A