Author Topic: Salt and a freebase solubility  (Read 1760 times)

tempest

Salt and a freebase solubility
« on: January 13, 2002, 02:42:00 AM »
i've read that if one adds sodium chloride (non-iodized table salt, for example) to an strongly alkaline aqueous solution of a freebase substance that is layered with a non-polar solvent, then the freebase would be more likely to leave the aqueous layer and enter into the np layer.

i've also read where some people might over-indulge with an acid while attempting an a/b extraction, and that if they miss the "7" mark, they should start over, because compensating with an alkaline substance would give them salt.

What I was wondering is this:  Would one have to go all the way back to step one, or could they just add a sufficient amount of, say, NaOH to the <6 ph aqueous layer and ignore the salt (from the reaction of, say, HCl and NaOH), since it seems it (the salt byproduct) would aid in the transposition of a (now freebase, after the addition of NaOH) substance from aqueous to the np layer?

Yours, in theory,

Tempest

Hey, Ma!  Thtupid Joey made a meth in the kithen again!

Prdy2GO

Re: Salt and a freebase solubility
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2002, 04:20:00 AM »
Do not add NAOH to raise the ph if you miss your mark. OK listen up here is a trick to the "drip and drizzle" Save about 20% of your product and put it in a safe place before your start. Then when you fuck it up you can add it back to raise the ph with out making fucking useless expensive salt. Another thing ph of 7 is too high shoot for between 5.5 and 6 for the best uptake.

Don't look at me I didn't do it!

Osmium

Re: Salt and a freebase solubility
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2002, 04:57:00 AM »
Get the fuck out of my forum!