Author Topic: Is Meth a precursor for anything interesting?  (Read 1483 times)

pROcon

Is Meth a precursor for anything interesting?
« on: May 25, 2002, 01:03:00 AM »
I know basically nothin, but ill ask anyway, could a clever bee make anythng nterestng out of methylene amphetamine?

Like could it be used as a precursor to ma-somethn or somethn-ma? :-[

don't call me...I wont answer, or call you back.

Rhodium

meth -> ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 02:44:00 AM »
Nope, it doesn't get any better or worse than meth, unless you are interested in synthesizing L-deprenyl (MAOI and nootropic) by isolating the l-methamphetamine isomer and reacting that with propargyl bromide. But it is much easier and cheaper to buy L-deprenyl over the net.

Lilienthal

hehe
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2002, 10:36:00 PM »
N-protect, p-nitrate, reduce, m-nitrate, reduce, Sandmeier, O-O-methylenation, N-deprotection  :P

SPISSHAK

Sounds like more trouble than it`s worth..
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 12:03:00 AM »
what about demethylation of ephedrine to ppa?
What kind of protective groups would you use to protect the alcohol from oxidation to ketones, during oxidative amide formation from the alkylamine.
This might be too much troble too...

Antoncho

Lilienthal - a huge LOL in your direction!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 11:44:00 AM »
:)  ;D  :)  ;)  :)  ;D

Yours,

Antoncho

Ritter

I think I could stir up some serious trouble!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2002, 11:32:00 PM »
hmmm.  Lets see.  We could definitely make something useful out of that chemical garbage precursor you kids call methamphetamine :P  ;D
If we attach a  three carbon chain to the meth. amine group, we have a perfect precursor for an acyclic fentanyl analogue.  That attached carbon chain must of course terminate with a leaving group, preferably bromine in this case.  Now all we have to do is alkylate some aniline with that halogenated compound and acylate the aromatic amine with propionyl chloride.  Aniline can be easily alkylated by employing a Pd salt/ligand catalyst along with  a few equivalents of strong base (K-t-BuO). 

Another synth would start with acylation of the methamphetamine amine with 3-chloropropionyl chloride then alkylate and acylate as mentioned above.  The final step will be reducing the carbonyl group attached to the phenylisopropylamine nitrogen.  The product N-(3 methyl-phenylisopropylamino)-propyl-N'phenyl propionamide appears similar to some structures on this page:

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/echet98/pub/028/index.htm

So what do you know, turns out that meth isn't completely useless afterall!   :P

KiZaDm

hahahahahahaha
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 09:26:00 PM »
;)

LYFizBUTaDREAM...and then you wake up dead!