Author Topic: Smell after ketone distillation, what is it ?  (Read 1231 times)

wolfx

Smell after ketone distillation, what is it ?
« on: October 12, 2003, 11:40:00 PM »
SWINM has noticed that EVERY time he is done with ketone distillation, the tarry / oily remains in his boiling flask smell a bit like acetic acid, also ressemble a bit HCl smell. I was wondering, is it formic acid ? His just distilled ketone ( in the receiving BF ) also smelled like that a bit, but after a while the smell disappeared, now the ketone smells sweet and floral, much less intense than the safrole. Ketone is green, looks OK.

If that is really formic acid, I bet it is no good for your vacuum pump. I have already flushed the pump, checked the vacuum and refilled, have done all that with normal pump oil.

MDMA_AcTIvEsTS

KETONE
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 04:56:00 AM »
Your Ketone should be a yellow color, and not green in nature. i would perhaps re-distil or, how long has your ketone been exposed to air, as this can manipulate the color..

The color of ketone is really a detremental question of debate, governed by the fact that some bees are getting green and yellow or, colors alike..

Overall the main predicament is the end result, which is the main concern and in all cases all that matters.. But i stress purity and purification procedures a MUST! ;)

wolfx

Some additional info
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 05:26:00 AM »
OK, whoever made that ketone decide to add some probably relevant information here :

1) Made by Wacker oxidation in DMF, even though his fellow has been dreaming with peracetic. This guy has been able to make good ketone and aminate it and etc. this way before.

2) I have no idea of what formic acid smell like, but I had a bad experience with a second hand pump once, when I exchanged the pump oil ( quite dirty ) it smelled exactly like the above described smell. The vacuum was much worse than the spec value, more than 20 mm Hg which is the top range value of my vacuum gauge. Pump long gone, sold it by half the price or less, next I ordered a brand new one, still have it, so far working and in good condition. Main reason I bought such a pump is that I paid cash, no receipt, bad idea.

Maybe someone can confirm this is or not the way formic acid smells like. Again, it smells like acetic acid and HCl.

3) I am aware ketone purity is an important issue, of course. I plan to test it with sodium metabisulfite and maybe to redistill it.

4) Sorry it if sounds silly. I hope I have explained what I mean now.