Author Topic: International Labware...  (Read 1353 times)

Daphuk_up

International Labware...
« on: January 25, 2003, 03:29:00 AM »

To my fellow Ameribees, would it be considered safe or prudent to order labware (small order of glass) from across the oceans great?  There are a number of legit dealers, particularly in asia, who have excellent prices on glass and general labware.  Is this something that is specifically watched?  I understand that it *could* be watched (or noticed), especially if the order was large enough.  The question is, how large is large?

One last thing:  Are there specific national laws in place regarding glassware that are similiar to the 'chemical quantity' laws in that they get a red flag?  Does anyone know what this specific limit is, if it exists?

thanks very much for your help and time  :)

cthulhujr

It is very possibly more likely to draw ...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 03:59:00 AM »
It is very possibly more likely to draw unwanted attention, ordering from other countries, than simply purchasing locally.
  For the most part lab glassware is easily obtainable, in fact, if one looks around carefully, lab glassware can be purchased OTC, on a walk-in basis, with no questions asked, from places besides professional lab supply shops, in the United States. All that, and for reasonable costs.
  Not to mention numerous mail-order warehouses, private sellers, and internet sellers. A small labware set, or some mix and match pieces of labware, occasionally, isn't going to set off many alarms.
  Labware is no big mystery, just buy it quietly, and don't show it everyone, once You have it.
  Some States and Municipalities are bound to have Laws or Statutes surrounding labware purchases, it's best to check, because the last thing, anybee ever wants to do, is violate any Law.

SPISSHAK

In Texas or California
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 04:06:00 AM »
Glassware = prison.
In these states your presumed guilty end of story.
Unless you got a high dollar attorney you go to jail.

El_Zorro

Yeah, if you get caught................. 8-)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 05:29:00 AM »
Yeah, if you get caught................. 8)

SPISSHAK

It's one of those technicalities
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2003, 06:15:00 AM »
If they want to nail you for it they will. But this law is not always enforced.

El_Zorro

Yeah, I've never actually looked it up, but...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2003, 01:50:00 AM »
Yeah, I've never actually looked it up, but I've heard that it's just the possession of glassware without a liscence that can get you jail time, or that purchasing it in texas without a liscence gets you nailed.  But I've seen hobby shops sell little 50ml beakers and 125ml erlenmyers, so who knows.  So I just get my glassware from out of state.

LoW_JacK

California Law on glassware purchase & ...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 05:56:00 AM »
California Law on glassware purchase & possession

11104.5.  Any person who knowingly or intentionally possesses any laboratory glassware or apparatus, any chemical reagent or solvent,or any combination thereof, where the value of the goods exceeds one hundred dollars ($100), or any chemical substance specified in Section 11107.1, with the intent to manufacture a controlled
substance, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Jail for a misdomeanor?

Maybe if you have some priors. Other than that, fuck'em!

El_Zorro

HA! So if you have all the equipment, ...
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »
HA!  So if you have all the equipment, chemicals, and labware, and intend to manufacture a controlled substance, you get a misdemeanor?  HA!!   8)

LoW_JacK

intent_
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

Yeah but if you go beyond intending and actually
get caught manufacturing the controlled substance, then your guilty of a felony.
Intent is a funny thing. Proving intent isnt that
hard for the prosecutor to do if you have a $12 flask &
several grams of I2\P4. Especially
when you show up for trial with their public pretender
pretending to defend you.

Keep all lab glass purchases under the $100 threshold and
you or anyone in california should be fine.

Dont count on it though. This is amerikkka after all.

wyndowlicker

You poor Cali bees!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »
You have it so rough out there.Me on the other hand has 3 different places to go and buy glass from on a walk in basis.Take it back to the old School and figure it out.Mail forwarding is all I can say for bees in glass unfriendly states. ;)  :P

toltec

condensers
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 07:14:00 AM »

toltec

sorry
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 03:21:00 AM »
I actually thought this forum was for chems and _EQUIPMENT_
DID USE THE FSE,and if I had found thie answer I wouldn't have posted the ?.Maybe you guy's should maybe lighten up?
not all of us are as brillant as some.this reminds me of all of the flaming that went on in the early days of the hive.U know like when the very few "chemist"(WHO THOUGHT THEY WHERE GOD)trashed all the rest of us "common" folks just for trying to learn.Maybe some of you should remember where you came from,and lighten UP! ;)