Author Topic: Providone - I2 Recovery ?  (Read 2570 times)

forever_2_wheels

Providone - I2 Recovery ?
« on: October 23, 2003, 09:57:00 PM »
OK, as this is  my first post, let me first give you all a pat-on-the-back for creating what was for me at school boring, something totally DYNAMIC, PRACTICAL and EXCITING...
CHEMISTRY!!! [Thankx for the Dream]

With that said, I will now relate my most recent dream of one bottle(500ml) of 10% w/v Providone-Iodine and the
"Providone-I2 Recovery via Sublimation" by LabTop 'project'.

All 500ml went into a 10" glass pyrex bowl and boiled
(fast then slow with stiring) down to dryness.
When cold, I was able to chip off reddish crystals
(a matchbox full)and was left with a Blackish-Hash type substance solidily fixed to the bottom.

My question is, "Are these crystals my sought after I2 ?"

Lucid_Dreamer

no you have to make a coldfinger now, burn...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 10:09:00 PM »
No, you have to make a coldfinger now, burn them and create the gas which will accumulate on the cold part of the coldfinger. The link below goes into better deatail if you haven't already read it. It's very easy.

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/povidone.html

forever_2_wheels

the crystals, the blackmass or both...?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »
Thankx for the reply,

...but do I 'burn' the crystals, the blackmass or both,
   using a coldfinger to sublime it?

Lucid_Dreamer

I would burn both to be o9n the safe side, I...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
I would burn both to be on the safe side, I have never done this particular sublimation but I have contemplated it, yes, use the coldfinger to sublimate, think of of a flask with the bottom of the jar (bottom) covering the opening in the flask, you have to fill the jar or cup or whatever glass handy with very cold water, when you burn the crystals/blackmass it will sublimate onto the bottom of the jar, considering the opening of the flask doesn't have a large surface area (not enough room on that bad boy) I would only try this a small amount at a time until you are sure and can do it blindfolded. Now back to the blackmass, in my experience, I2 from tinc has always been blackish/grey with a pretty luster, so I would try the blackmass first and if the yeild is low try the red crystals, Good Luck, and thanks for not beeing an ungrateful bastard.