Author Topic: GBL mix  (Read 1827 times)

chemstrip

GBL mix
« on: May 15, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
Hi,I'm going to make a metal cleaner with GBL.
The gov won't let me sell it pure,so what can I dilute it with to make them happy and still be usable?

DrLucifer

So, you want to sell pure gbl and label it as...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 03:16:00 AM »
So, you want to sell pure gbl and label it as a metal cleaner? Or are you making a product 'with' gbl as the active constituent?
If you want to sell it pure, it doesnt surprise me that the government wont let you sell it  :o
If it were me, I would dilute the gbl with NaOH, but thats just me. ;)  If i were you, i would dilute it with something that actually helps to 'clean metal'!
Pick a solvent, any solvent  :P

acx01b

iodine is a very good metal cleaner :)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »

ning

gov't regulations
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »

what can I dilute it with to make them happy and still be usable?

Why don't you ask them?

Not about the useable part. Choose materials with widely different boiling points. Or maybe nonpolars like toluene, which if the GBL is converted to GHB salt, will separate from the water layer and can be poured off.

But, if it's government, and regulated, I imagine there's a list of specified diluents somewhere.

The best market to be selling for is probably electronics. I think they have very stringent rules about what sort of residue can be left behind by a cleaner.

However, I think they're all moving to N-methyl pyrrolidone or dimethylpiperidone.

Good luck.

It would be funny if someone sold ethyl hydroxybutyrate, or ethyl acetylhydroxybutyrate. Unscheduled, but definitely prodrugs to GHB.