Author Topic: The most interesting CTH reaction ever documented?  (Read 40074 times)

GC_MS

Maybe...
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2002, 02:50:00 PM »
Maybe the reason can be found in

Post 371253

(Barium: "Hey Ritter old chap!", Novel Discourse)
?
Maybe KF in solution forms KHF2, which sets free HF2-, while NaF does not?

geh in die knie. wackle mit den hueften. klatsch in die haende. und tanz den mussolini.

Barium

That can very well be the reason why it didn´t ...
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2002, 04:36:00 PM »
That can very well be the reason why it didn´t work. Synthesis, 169 (1983) Alkali metal fluorides in organic synthesis, might shed some light over this.

Catalytic hydrogenation freak

GC_MS

indeed...
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2002, 05:35:00 PM »
Seems to be related to that indeed, Barium. From the Synthesis article:

"The activity of alkali metal fluorides was found to increase in the order:
CsF >= RbF > KF >> NaF > LiF
Tetraalkylammonium fluorides are also very strong bases."

"Having compared the activity of the fluorides of various alkali metals in the Knoevenagel reaction, Rand and coworkers [54] showed rubidium and caesium fluorides to be more active than potassium fluoride."

M     Yield (%)
---------------
Li       0
Na      ~5
K        52
Rb       77
Cs       71

Thanks Ba! Now we have something that tells us that NaF/LiF-dreams can be stocked for a while...

geh in die knie. wackle mit den hueften. klatsch in die haende. und tanz den mussolini.

Barium

Here it is Ritter
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2002, 05:38:00 PM »
Tet. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 45, pp 5733-5734, 1988

Transfer Hydrogenation: A sterospecific method for the conversion of nitroalkanes into amines

Recently we needed a mild, rapid procedure for the conversion of beta-nitroalcohols into the corresponding hydroxy amines with the retention of configuration....blah blah blah...As such we consider that it is the method of choice for the production of amines from functionalized nitro alkanes.

Ba´s voice: Eight diffrent nitro alcohols were converted to the amino alcohols and the yields were around 70-85%

A typical procedure is as follows: to a solution of the nitro alcohol 1.1 mmol in 10 ml 50/50 THF-MeOH was added 50 mg 10% Pd/C, followed by 5 equiv ammonium formate. The mixture was stirred at room temperature until all nitro alcohol had been consumed (tlc). The mixture was diluted with 100ml Et2O, filtered and the filtrate was evaporated in vacuo to yield the crude amine. Flash column chromatography (SiO2, MeOH/CHCl3 2:98 v/v) gave the amine. 

Barium

I´ve tried the above method with ...
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2002, 05:48:00 PM »
I´ve tried the above method with 2-nitro-1-(2,4-dimethoxyphenyl)-1-ethanol as substrate with bad luck so far. Anhydrous ammonium formate in etiher MeOH or EtOH with up to 20% catalyst loading has in all trials resulted in a dead catalyst within minutes. This is probably due to poisoning. I have even tried to add the catalyst and hydrogen donor first and allowing the hydrogen evolution to occur for a couple of minutes to saturate the catalyst with hydrogen. When the substrate then is added the reaction dies within one minute. Even reflux temperature doesn´t change this. The last trial today was to add 10 eq HOAc to protonate the amine as soon as it was formed. Result: dead catalyst again.  :o  >:(

But I do by no means give up this easily. Tomorrow Ra-nickel will be used instead.

Barium

Reference reaction
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2002, 03:19:00 PM »
10g (60 mmol) 2,4-dimethoxybenzaldehyde
4.27g (70 mmol) nitromethane
15ml IPA
No KF added

All was added to a 100ml rb flask and stirred for 40 hours at room temperature. Some of the benzaldehyde had gone into solution. The solution was decanted from the undissolved material and diluted with 100 ml water. This caused a yellow oil to fall out which solidified within seconds. The mp was 62-64°C (mp. pure material 69-72°C), probably depressed due to the presence of nitromethane and IPA.

Barium

Three nice patents
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2002, 05:39:00 PM »
These patents cover the process of making nitroalkanes, the same way as in the article above, and nitroalcohols using different catalysts, trialkylphosphines.

Patent US3723546

- nitroalkanes

Patent US4496772

- trialkylphosphine

Edit
Reduction of isonitrosopropiophenones with H2/Pt/Pd

Patent US3028429

GC_MS

How about this?
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2002, 01:35:00 PM »
The following procedure contains information on the formation of 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl-2-nitropropanol from nitroethane and the 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde bisulfite adduct. It should be used for information services only. Every clandestine abuse is disencouraged.

Used products:
- 5 g 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde (M = 196.20 g/mol, n = 25.5 mmol)
- 2.5 mL nitroethane (M = 75.07 g/mol, d = 1.05 kg, n = 35 mmol)
- 7 mL NaHSO3 (39%)
- 1.1 g NaOH in 10 mL H2O

Working procedure:
A 100 mL RB flask is charged with 5 g 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde and 10 mL water. Stirring is commenced and 7 mL bisulfite is added. The adduct forms slowly (since the benzaldehyde flakes won't dissolve very well), so the reaction mixture is heated until everything has gone into solution. At this point, the reaction mixture is somewhat dark yellow in colour. The heating is stopped and 2.5 mL nitroethane is added, immediately followed by 1.1 g NaOH in 10 mL water. The mixture was stirred overnight. When the reaction was halted, a yellow oil settled at the bottom of the RB flask. The oil was isolated and added to a small amount of NaHSO3 solution to recover some trace amounts of 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde (and to purify the oil at the same time). The mixture was stirred for 20 minutes, after which the yellow oil was isolated again. It was dumped in 75 mL H2O and put in the fridge (at 4 C). When I checked after a couple of hours, a yellow crystalline cake had formed. After drying, the weight of the cake was 6.1 g, or a yield of 88%.

Remarks:
(1) Using the bisulfite adduct means we don't have to worry about the benzaldehyde auto-oxydation cascade reaction, or in simpler words: no inert atmosphere required.
(2) As you might have read, I purify the oil with bisulfite solution. The reason for this is bivalent: as said, the oil is purified from benzaldehyde remainings (thus you obtain a very pure product without recrystallization), but more important is that you can recycle unreacted benzaldehyde traces for a next run. This means that the 88% yield from the first run is only increased if you use the recycled benzaldehyde in a second run.
(3) I think this reaction is easily upscaled...

Barium

This is the old method for the condensation of ...
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2002, 04:45:00 PM »
This is the old method for the condensation of nitroalkanes with benzaldehydes. It should be no problem to scale it up to huge quantities. I remember from one of the patents I posted earlier in this thread that they gave an example of a batch yielding 17 kg 2-nitro-1-phenylpropan1-ol. But I would be a little concerned about handling such huge amounts of the sodium or potassium salt of nitroethane. Even though it is in a aqueous solution.

The removal of the benzylic -OH group by forming an ester doesn´t necessarily call for acetic anhydride. Propionic or butyric anhydride should work just as well. I don´t believe any of them are regulated. Or are they?

GC_MS

Kamlet
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2002, 05:36:00 PM »
Kamlet's patent uses 10.7 kg (!) of benzaldehyde, that's why SWiM "hinted" it  ;) . Even though the method is "old", SWiM likes it for several reasons: NaHSO3 isn't exactly expensive, nitropropanoles can be easily purified from the aldehydes, which on their turn are actually recycled. If one decides to use

Patent US6399828

as his prefered synthesis route, the summarized advantages might be helpful for several bees. As demonstrated, yields aren't too low  ;) .
Currently testing:
- benzaldehyde
- anisaldehyde
- 3-methoxy-4-hydroxybenzaldehyde
Results will follow...

hermanroempp

CTH dead simple
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2002, 12:25:00 AM »
I just found something on the net which I had to share...

Water-Soluble Nickel Catalysts:
From 2-Pyridylphosphine to “Ligand Free” Species
Matthew D. Le Page and Brian R. James*
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver,
British Columbia, V6T 1Z1, Canada
Interest remains high in development of homogeneous catalysis systems that are effective in
aqueous solution. Contributions from this laboratory have focussed on the use of the 2-
pyridylphosphine ligands PPh3-xpyx (or PNx, where x is the number of 2-pyridyl groups),
py2P(CH2)2Ppy2 (1, the analogue of diphos), and py2P(C5H8)Ppy2 (2, where C5H8 is a
cyclopentane backbone).1 Diamagnetic nickel complexes synthesized include the purely Pcoordinated
species: NiX2(P-P), Ni(CO)2(P-P), Ni(CO)2(PNx)2, Ni(PNx)4, Ni(P-P)2, and
Ni(P-P)2(PNx)2, where X = a monoanion, and P-P = 1 or 2. Isolated, paramagnetic
complexes include the P-coordinated NiX2(PNx)2, the P,N-coordinated NiCl2(PN3), and the
N,N’,N”-coordinated [Ni(PN3)2]Cl2. In aqueous media, species such as Ni(H2O)2(P-P)2+,
Ni(H2O)2(PNx)2
2+, and Ni(CO)(2H-P-P)2+ are formed, where 2H-P-P means diprotonation at
the N-atoms.
Representative complexes from those listed above have been tested in aqueous solution for
catalytic activity toward olefin hydration and the Water-Gas Shift Reaction (WGSR). The
only notable activity was that of NiCl2(PN2)2 for the WGSR, in which a turn-over frequency
for H2/CO2 production was ~30 h-1 at 100oC and 40 atm CO, in the range commonly
observed for homogeneous WGSR catalysts, including that noted for NiCl2(PMe3)2 in basic,
aqueous EtOH.2
During these studies, a report appeared on the use of a NiCl2(PPh3)2/NaOH/iPrOH system
for transfer hydrogenation of ketones and aldehydes.3 Our water-soluble Ni(II)
pyridylphosphines were of comparable activity, but some "blank tests" soon revealed that
the simple salts NiBr2 and NiI2 had much higher activity!

For example, 90% conversion of
cyclohexanone to cyclohexanol was attained after 1 h of refluxing in an alkaline iPrOH
solution containing NiBr2, whereas conversions of only 14 and 24% respectively, were
achieved with NiCl2(PPh3)2 and NiBr2(PPh3)2, respectively, under comparable conditions;
optimization of reaction conditions (~1.5 M substrate, 5 mM NiBr2, 0.5 M NaOH) resulted
in 100% conversion after 30 min refluxing. The simplicity of this system, which uses a
commercially available, inexpensive Ni(II) salt, makes it attractive for laboratory
hydrogenations without the need for H2.4 Of note, NiBr2(PPh3)2 in the alkaline medium
dissociates the PPh3 ligands, implying that in the reported work with the NiCl2(PPh3)2
system, the precursor catalyst may be simply NiCl2.
Studies with other acceptor substrates show that the NiBr2/NaOH/iPrOH system is effective
for catalytic transfer hydrogenation of other saturated ketones (97-100% in 24 - 48 h),
alkenes (e.g. n-octene to octane, 99% in 30 min), alpha, beta-unsaturated ketones (e.g. 2-
cyclohexen-1-one to cyclohexanol (71%) and cyclohexanone (2%) over 48 h), nitrobenzene
to exclusively aniline (19%, 24 h), and 4-nitro-benzaldehyde to a mixture of reduced
products (38%, 24 h).

[NiBr2, NaOH]
Acceptor (A) + Me2CH(OH)----->A(H)2 + Me2CO
                       reflux
No hydrogenation was observed for internal olefins such as trans-2-octene, and cyclooctene.
Kinetic studies on the hydrogenation of cyclohexanone, which appears to be a homogeneous
catalyzed system as judged by a mercury-addition test, reveal the following kinetic
dependences: 1st- to fractional-order on [NiBr2] with increasing concentration, 2nd order on
[NaOH], 1st-order on ketone (up to ~1.5 M), and 1st-order on iPrOH (up to ~2.0 M). Of
several plausible mechanisms, one involving hydride transfer from coordinated ispropoxide
to coordinated cyclohexanone, with a subsequent protonation to release the cyclohexanol,
satisfies the kinetics if the coordinated isopropoxide is associated within a cluster form of a
“Ni(OiPr)2” monomer. Spectroscopic data are being sought to support such a mechanism.
We thank NSERC of Canada for financial support.
References
1. N. Jones, K. S. MacFarlane, M. B. Smith, R. P. Schutte, S. J. Rettig and B. R. James,
Inorg.
Chem., 38 (1999) 3956.
2. P. Giannoccaro, E. Pannacciulli and G. Vasapollo, Inorg. Chim. Acta, 96 (1985) 179; R.
M.
Laine and E. J. Crawford, J. Mol. Catal., 44 (1988) 357.
3. S. Iyer and J. P. Varghese, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., (1995) 465.
4. M. D. Le Page and B. R. James, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., (2000) 1647.

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem!

hermanroempp

CTH reactions employing Nickel(II)halides
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2002, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, Rhodium. I wonder about if this reaction could be employed for the reduction of our beloved nitropropenes. The C=C bond should be reduced, but what about the (aliphatic) nitro group? Yields of amines from aromatic nitro compounds (e.g. anilines) was really low and aliphatic nitro groups are somewhat harder to reduce to the amino group. Any comments?  :)

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem!

Barium

2C-H by the nitroalcohol route
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »
Currently a 300 mmol batch of 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde --> 2C-H is being tested. The final reduction will be done tomorrow but here is what´s happened so far:

50 g 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde (300 mmol)
21 g nitromethane (roughly 350 mmol)
700 mg KF
75 ml 99% EtOH

All was added to a rb flask containing a magnetic stirbar and placed in a cold (12°C) water bath. Stirring was started and the reaction was left overnight. In the morning the solution was thick  from a yellow crystalline mass. The alcohol and residual nitromethane was removed by distillation under reduced pressure with the water bath only heated to 42°C. The reason to be a bit conservative with the temperature is to prevent the beta-nitroalcohol to be dehydrated to the nitrostyrene. The last of the alcohol was removed by co-destillation with toluene.

When no more ethanol came over the toluene suspension (100 ml toluene was added to aid the removal of the ethanol and approximately 80 ml remained) was chilled to 15°C and 1,5 g 4-(N,N-dimethylamino)pyridine (roughly 5 mol%) was added in one portion followed by 40 ml acetic anhydride (roughly 400 mmol) in 5 ml portions. The temperature rose a bit after each addition. When all acetic anhydride had been added all of the crystalline beta-nitroalcohol had gone into solution.

So far so good, the reductions will be performed tomorrow.

Barium

Oh my!
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
Continued

When checking the contents of the reaction flask this morning I was quite surprised to find a quite good yield of 2,5-dimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene instead of 1-acetoxy-1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane. Yield 57,5 g (275 mmol, 91,6%).

So this was not the way to acylate the beta-nitroalcohol. But let´s try the same method with one more carbon on the aliphatic chain. It´s so typical, when I don´t want the nitrostyrene I end up with a good yield of it.  ::)

Osmium

I feel so sorry for you.
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »
I feel so sorry for you. 92% yield of a completely unusable precursor... I bet that sucks big time!  :(

Barium

Yes!
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2003, 06:03:00 PM »
I´m gonna cry a bit tonight  ;)

Barium

Finally!
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2003, 05:04:00 PM »
20 g 1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethanol (88 mmol)
40 ml EtOH
2-3 g Raney nickel
42 g sodium hypophosphite hydrate (395 mmol), dissolved in about 40 ml water

The catalyst was added to a 250 ml E-beaker containing a magnetic stirbar and 40 ml EtOH followed by the powdered substrate in one portion. Stirring was started and 5 ml of the hypophosphite solution was added. At this point the temperature of the suspension was 16°C. Nothing at all happened. No gas evolution or increased temperature. After 5 minutes of waiting another 0,5 g Raney nickel was added. Immediately gas evolution started followed by a slow climb in temperature. When the gas evolution slowed down the temperature had climbed to 27°C. The remaining hypophosphite solution was added in portions during one hour, while the temperature increased to a maximum of 62°C. No external cooling was applied. Just before the last portion of the hypophosphite solution was added the temperature has already begun to decrease.

The reaction suspension was cooled to room temperature and the catalyst was removed by filtration through celite. The filtrate quickly seprated into two phases, a bottom aqueous solution and a bright yellow alcohol solution of the amine. The phases was separated and the organic phase was stripped of solvent under reduced pressure leaving a clear yellow oil. The bright yellow oil was dissolved in 100 ml EtOAc and about 50 ml solvent distilled off under slightly reduced pressure. To the remaining solution an additional 50 ml EtOAc was added followed by slow addition of dry HCl in IPA until crystallisation ceased. The crystals was removed by filtration and dried to constant weight.

Yield: 16 g 2-amino-1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethanol hydrochloride (68 mmol, 77%)

Next step is to acylate this beta-aminoalcohol like the patent describes.

Organikum

why not reducing directly?
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2003, 06:50:00 AM »
In GAA with perchloric acid as promotor and Pd/BaSO4 as catalyst? This would eliminate the need of acetic anhydride. (not important to Barium probably but for others maybe)

or do I overlook problems with the methoxy groups?

ORG

Barium

More
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
2-amino-1-(2,4-dimethoxyphenyl)ethanol hydrochloride, 62% yield
2-amino-1-(3,4-dimethoxyphenyl)propanol hydrochloride, 59% yield
2-amino-1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)ethanol hydrochloride, 61% yield
2-amino-1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)propanol hydrochloride, 54% yield

None of the intermediate beta-nitroalcohols were isolated. The alcoholic solutions of the nitroalcohols were just diluted with more EtOH and the reduction started right away. I´m sure low-pressure catalytic hydrogenations of the nitroalcohols with raney nickel in MeOH or EtOH will give higher yields.